[SOLVED] Got my first ssd and now im lost....

drakeslayer1234z

Commendable
Sep 6, 2018
Ok to put the title into context, i purchased a 240 gb SSD, this was to be used for my OS and a few games. my hard drive was for the rest of the games and storage. i decided to re install a fresh windows 10 on my SSD while the original win 10 was on my HDD. at this point i had 2 install of windows. then i uninstalled windows from the HDD i did this by using disk clean up. the problem is i cant format the HDD and neither can i actually boot from my SSD, if i unplug my HDD my SSD doesn't boot however if the HDD is in the SSD works i guess since it is using the windows 10 off of the SSD...

Solution
It is because HDD is still active drive in your computer from Windows point of view. Windows drive management is weird b**ch, your new Windows still use boot sector from HDD and recovery partition as well is taken over :) Let skip technical details. What you must do:
  1. Unplug both drives from computer. Connect only SSD drive to computer. If SSD is SATA drive, connect it to first SATA port (SATA0 or SATA_1 - depends from motherboard).
  2. Install Windows on SSD drive again. During installation delete all previous partitions you made with previous installation.
  3. When Windows installation is completed, rebooted and you successfully came to desktop, turn your PC off. Connect HDD drive back. When you are back into desktop...
It is because HDD is still active drive in your computer from Windows point of view. Windows drive management is weird b**ch, your new Windows still use boot sector from HDD and recovery partition as well is taken over :) Let skip technical details. What you must do:
  1. Unplug both drives from computer. Connect only SSD drive to computer. If SSD is SATA drive, connect it to first SATA port (SATA0 or SATA_1 - depends from motherboard).
  2. Install Windows on SSD drive again. During installation delete all previous partitions you made with previous installation.
  3. When Windows installation is completed, rebooted and you successfully came to desktop, turn your PC off. Connect HDD drive back. When you are back into desktop, backup your files from HDD (documents, pictures, anything else that matters) somewhere else. Then open Disk Management and delete ALL partitions on HDD drive. Now you can make a new partition on whole HDD drive and copy your precious stuff back. That is all.

Solution
Yes. You can install Windows 7 on SDD. If you have product key or digital license for your Windows 7, activate it. Then go for Windows 10 media tool, download and run it. Select "Upgrade this PC now". Then select fresh install option (not the one who promise to keep your files). When Windows 10 is installed, delete old system remains with Disk Cleanup in administrator mode.

USAFRet

Titan
You do NOT need to install Win 7 first.

Create your own Win 10 USB to install from, and use that.
https://www.microsoft.com/en-us/software-download/windows10