Got my new laptop, and...

Status
Not open for further replies.

$amurai

Distinguished
Jun 1, 2010
I just bought my new Asus G72gx-Rbbx05 laptop, and I've got a couple of questions for all you overclockers.
First of all, the turbogear overclocking utility that comes with the laptop doesn't open. I doubleclick on it, doesn't work. Run as administrator, doesn't work. Nothing will even make the program open. How can I fix this?
Second, I also can't seem to overclock using the nVidia program that you're supposed to be able to use. I can see the clock speeds of the GPU, but I can't change them. Again, how do I fix this?
Last, I've installed Assassin's Creed and Just Cause 2. AC runs perfectly, but Just Cause 2 hovers around 15 fps even at low resolution, details, every "extra" thing turned off. It seems to me it should perform better than that at least. Why do you think I'm having this problem?

Solution
If you decided to go ahead with some overclocking you might want to read this www.overclock.net forum topic about another Asus owners experience OC'ing his Asus G72gx-Rbbx05.
I don't think it would make that much difference in performance to let you run Just Cause 2 significantly better.

Josea

Distinguished
Dec 27, 2009
If your G72 is anything like my G73 for turbo to work in Windows 7 if has to be enabled in the BIOS. Hit F2 shortly after turning on your system and go to advanced tben naviagate to Asus easy over-clock and make sure it is set to Turbo.
Sorry I am not familiar with your other issues.

I wouldn't recommend OC'ing a laptop's CPU or GPU, as the additional heat may eventually fry either or another component. Laptops aren't build with powerful heat sinks, hence the concern. However, it is your money, so proceed at your own risk. The reason why the programs aren't working may be due to the above mentioned fact.

Nope, these are utilities that are provided by Asus that come stock on the laptop. If he OC's using the Asus utility it should not void his warranty in any way. (don't quote me on that...)

Samurai: Have you tried using a different set of drivers? Your current drivers may be causing issues with JC2 that newer ones might fix. As far as the OCing problem, I don't really know what to tell you....

$amurai

Distinguished
Jun 1, 2010
I think we have now solved all of the issues. Turbogear was open, it's just the desktop shortcut didn't do anything. New drivers fixed JC2, I'm now playing with details on high and over 40 fps pretty consistently. And Nvidia system tools suddenly started working after downloading five times. Thanks everyone!

Status
Not open for further replies.