got my pc and need help with hard drive and solid state drive

ImmortalGiraffe

Distinguished
Aug 30, 2015
Alright. My pc contains a Seagate Barracuda 1tb and a 250gb ssd. I only want the os, skype and a couple of my favorite games on there. How do i put files i dont want on my hard drive. This would really help me. Thanks! I'm using windows 8.1 btw.

Solution
Hey there, ImmortalGiraffe.

I assume that you already have Windows installed on your SSD (please correct me if I'm wrong). If this is the case, from here on, it's really easy. All you have to do, is to choose the path you want to install your programs/games to when prompted to do that, instead of going for the default location which usually is "C:\Program Files". E.g. if you have a folder for your games on your HDD and the hard drive's partition is D:, you can choose the installation to go to D:\Games\Skyrim (if you are installing Skyrim for example). This way the game will be installed on your HDD. As for files, which you download, you just have to adjust the settings for the browser's (and/or the program you're using to download...
Hey there, ImmortalGiraffe.

I assume that you already have Windows installed on your SSD (please correct me if I'm wrong). If this is the case, from here on, it's really easy. All you have to do, is to choose the path you want to install your programs/games to when prompted to do that, instead of going for the default location which usually is "C:\Program Files". E.g. if you have a folder for your games on your HDD and the hard drive's partition is D:, you can choose the installation to go to D:\Games\Skyrim (if you are installing Skyrim for example). This way the game will be installed on your HDD. As for files, which you download, you just have to adjust the settings for the browser's (and/or the program you're using to download stuff) default save location, to a folder on your HDD.
There's an option for you to move your user folders to a different drive, but I won't get in much detail about that (unless you'd like to try it) as it may lead to possible complications if you try to upgrade to Windows 10 at some point.

Hope that helps. Please let me know how everything goes and if you have any questions.
Boogieman_WD

Solution

TRENDING THREADS