Got new 1080 TI rig, only 70 FPS at 1440p?

icipher4

Reputable
Nov 23, 2015
Got my new alienware aurora R7 with following specs:
Nvidia 1080 ti
i5 8400
16 GB Ram.

I was playing doom last night at 1440p ultra through my acer predator G-Sync monitor 144hz. I wasn't getting more than 80 FPS. While it did look very good, all the performance testing I've seen with 1080ti and doom at 1440p show 170-190 FPS.

What am i doing wrong? Why am I not getting anymore than 80 FPS?

Thanks.

there is much more than GPU to the FPS.
to troubleshoot this:
make sure that there is no HW problem - CPU and GPU are running at their frequency. Overheating or/and underpower can cause throttling. For example 8400 supposed to run at 3.8GHz for all cores load.
check the CPU and GPU utilization
make sure the monitor is connected to the graphics card and not the MB.

icipher4

Reputable
Nov 23, 2015

Thanks for the input. I simply plugged the display port cable into the back of the computer and then into the monitor. Could that be the culprit?

Ilya__

Reputable
Jan 7, 2016

Back of the computer is too vague. Back of the computer where the mouse and keyboard are found? Or at the bottom where the graphics card is located?
monitor-connections.jpg

You want to plug into the graphics card.

icipher4

Reputable
Nov 23, 2015

The displayport jack is toward the top which is where i plugged in and sent to monitor. I thought displayport or HDMI was the way to go nowadays, not the white multi-pin?

I must be plugged into the wrong port.

Ilya__

Reputable
Jan 7, 2016

The port is not too important (the image is there to illustrate the location of GPU not the ports to use), it is important that you are plugged into the bottom part (the graphics card). The top part is connected to the CPU GPU which is quite weak.

it's not about the ports, it's about their location.
Just imagine the same picture with black multi pin HDMI and DP instead of those white multi pin connectors called DVI.
make sure that the cable goes to the location marked as Graphics card on the image above.

Eximo

Titan
Ambassador
If not that, check your Nvidia control panel settings. Make sure DSR (Dynamic Super Resolution) hasn't been enabled. This renders things at a higher resolution and then downscales to your monitor resolution. Make sure 3D mode hasn't turned on (been a while since I have seen that one, though)

icipher4

Reputable
Nov 23, 2015
I switched to the gpu and now steam won't boot doom into 1440. It says the target resolution is 1080p and so the in game picture on my screen is small and blury.

Ilya__

Reputable
Jan 7, 2016

Sounds to me, like you need to install your Geforce Drivers