Got new whole home wifi, great speed and low ping but awful gaming performance

oscar.payne03

Prominent
Jan 29, 2018
So, my new wifi was meant to be fantastic. Speeds of 60 down and 20 up with 11ms of ping. Sounds great! But... I jump into a pubg game to test it out and the game is unplayable. I know pubg isn't the best game for its servers so I jump into CSGO and same story, unplayable. Ok... How about H1Z1? Same story. On the QoS my computer is set to the highest priority and gaming is also set as the highest priority and still the problem persists. It isn't my FPS either, as my system is definitely more than capable of 100+ FPS in most games. Please help!!
-
(I made a thread abut this before and I stopped looking for answers when the problem seemed to fix itself, but that was only for a short period)

Solution
If you're on the fringe of two of them it may have a hard time picking and they need to be relocated. If it's picking a weak one over a strong one then it sounds like it's not working properly.

oscar.payne03

Prominent
Jan 29, 2018

I'm running windows 10 and I have a USB WiFi antenna which I have had for a while with no issues and has worked great. Is there a way for me to find out whether or not it is 5 or 2.4GHz?

oscar.payne03

Prominent
Jan 29, 2018

The router is a TP-Link Deco M5 and it supports both frequencies through carrier sharing, so basically running both through parallel

oscar.payne03

Prominent
Jan 29, 2018

Is there a way to fix that?

The way Queue based QoS works it isn't friendly for pings. If you don't think everyone is hogging the bandwidth try no QoS. You will likely get better quality. HFSC has non-linear surface curves, which can reduce queue delay on latency sensitive packets and increase it on non-sensitive packets.

oscar.payne03

Prominent
Jan 29, 2018

I'll give it a try. I did have a theory: As the wifi is whole home, there are three access points around the house and it is entirely possible my PC is switching between the access points, so it may be on an access point with poor connection momentarily

If you have bufferbloat you likely have your QoS setup wrong.
You need something like wireshark or ntop on your router to catch all the traffic and figure out how to configure your QoS.

What QoS are you using?

Are the downloads coming from your pc? I would suggest no QoS and throttle the downloads at the program level to 80% or less of total bandwidth or just manage them while you game. Queue based QoS always adds latency. It's extremely difficult to setup for low latency programs. Even with the most ideal settings it's probably going to increase latency.

It has to be configured at the final router. If you are trying to do queue based on 3 different APs it's going to suck. schedule based pipes might work.

oscar.payne03

Prominent
Jan 29, 2018

The QoS is some proprietary thing with the deco m5 system we have. And I'm not sure what you mean by are the downloads coming from your pc.
I've noted your comments and will pass them on to the expert in networking of the house. He thinks it's the access points switching though. For instance, there's one upstairs and one on the floor the PC is on. He believes it's switching between them as a result of a faulty algorithm or something like that, I'm not too sure

For QoS to work all traffic has to go through it. Do you have anything that isn't behind it?

I've managed to get my QoS working fairly well.

I've created two pipes, one with 450Kbs for UDP traffic going to my gaming computers ip and the other for everything else.
On my everything else pipe I have 3 queues high, normal, low. I made downloads and web on my pc low, most of everything elses web on normal (streaming devices and phones), and acknowledgement and UDP on high.

I get 55ms when no traffic is going and about 70ms when it's 80%, and 95ms when it's maxed. You can't perfectly do it unless your ISP is running QoS. The way UDP traffic works, it just comes, so try and allocate a little more than needed for it. Downloads from the phone or streaming devices can screw your pc. For me it's normally my pcs downloads screwing everything else up.

oscar.payne03

Prominent
Jan 29, 2018

I don't have that level of control over the pipes and stuff, but the problem is for sure the access points switching. I'm not sure how we can fix it or how it's happening but any solutions for how to lock it to an access point?