Got "Reboot and select proper Boot device", Windows 7 disk repair function finds no Windows installation.

Nimic

Honorable
Dec 22, 2013
Here's the problem. After moving the computer home for Christmas, I got the "Reboot and select proper Boot device" problem. I have Windows 7, and my Windows drive is an Intel SSD, which is a few months old. The computer still recognizes that the drive is in the SATA port, along with the other drives, and what it is called.

I made an Ubuntu USB stick, and managed to find out that the drive is still there, and all the files are still there. It just won't recognize that windows is installed. When I put in my Windows 7 disk and tried to repair, it didn't find any Windows installation to repair in the first place.

I'd rather not format and reinstall Windows, but it's looking like that is my only option?

I've had that exact same problem happen after putting a computer off for a while... may be days or weeks the computer was inactive when the problem happened, but it has recovered. It may take several tries and sometimes resetting the BIOS helps... or connection the drive to a second SATA port, checking the drive is in AHCI mode in the BIOS.

To formatt the drive it still has to be recognized so reset the BIOS, switch the SATA port and try again repeated times it will most likely eventually recover.