Question Got static electricity when turning on a new pc.

Kellerman88

Reputable
Jun 30, 2019
Hi.

Just got a new Acer predator Orion 3000 a couple days ago.
When i was pressing the on button i got a really big static electricity to my finger, so it s felt strong trough the hole finger.

Not sure if the button is plastic or metal, always heard that static is very bad for pcs, so what is the chances that the static charge from the human could find the way inside the computer?

Could this be something to worry about?
I am very static when it’s winter time when we use heater inside the house.
So this would probably happen again but this time i had some shoes on that i tried maby it cause it to build extra electricity.

Last edited:

g-unit1111

Titan
Won't hurt if you touch the outside of the case. Only hurts if you touch the inside of the case (motherboard, GPU, etc) and it's powered on. The only other scenario your PC could be damaged by a static discharge would be from a power surge, but unless you live in an area that's prone to them, your odds of that happening are usually pretty slim to nil.

Reactions: Kellerman88

Kellerman88

Reputable
Jun 30, 2019
Thanks for the answer, good to know that the voltage spike from human finger cant go trough it from power button or chassis, probably touthed both :) Have no knowledge about power so for all i know it could lead other ways but as i understand the moment it sparke it discharge right there and lead no where.

g-unit1111

Titan
Thanks for the answer, good to know that the voltage spike from human finger cant go trough it from power button or chassis, probably touthed both :) Have no knowledge about power so for all i know it could lead other ways but as i understand the moment it sparke it discharge right there and lead no where.

Yeah no that's incorrect. Just a regular spark won't harm anything. The only time you could really damage your system would be if you touch the components inside the case, and it's powered on. But unless you live in an area where you're prone to power surges, or a high rate of electrostatic discharge, I wouldn't worry too much about it.

If you want to take precautions, the best things you can buy that would prevent future static discharges would be a good surge bar (not a cheap one) and a plastic chair mat, and both of those things can be bought at Costco and should be relatively inexpensive.

Reactions: Kellerman88

Kellerman88

Reputable
Jun 30, 2019
I have this one connected, is it good enough?
Also a bigger one in the house fuse box that type one have against Lightning strike.

https://www.philips.dk/c-p/SPN7041WA_10/null-overspaendingsbeskytter

Also this morning when it was all quiet here i could barley notice a very low electric sound or a buzz sound when standing up close before i turned it on. Never had a modern desktop pc before so i dont know if that is normal too?

Last edited: