Got the 7020, now looking for second lcd

ColdCathode

Distinguished
Jan 12, 2002
I recieved my 7020 last week and couldnt be more pleased with it. I would like to thank all of the people here for the advice and recommendations.

I am now in need of a second LCD. It will be used as a go between monitor in a dual setup with my 7020 and also as a monitor for a PC hooked up to a TV in the family room. I am looking at spending around $350 give or take for a 15".

The only requirements I have are it must be wall mountable. Minor ghosting during games would be acceptable as it will be used for only minimal gameing. However, any ghosting during web, opening apps, dragging windows, watching DVD would be unacceptable.

I am looking at the KDS Rad-5, would this be a wise choice for my needs? any other suggs?

thanks again, Nick

G

The KDS Rad-5 has a very limited vertical viewing angle (115°). I purchased that LCD and returned it because the top of the screen was always darker than the bottom as a result of the poor viewing angle.

I now have the planar pv150 but may be returning it for the tft7020. The pv150 looks fantastic EXCEPT in fast action gaming. Dell has them (in black or white) for $364.50 with FREE next day air shipping. IMHO this is the best deal going on a 15" analog inteface LCD as long as you are not bothered by some noticeable ghosting in fast action games. It even pivots!

I am not sure whether it is wall mountable, how would I tell? The manual does not seem to make mention of it.<P ID="edit"><FONT SIZE=-1><EM>Edited by Eviscerate on 02/14/02 09:45 PM.</EM></FONT></P>

ColdCathode

Distinguished
Jan 12, 2002
Thanks for the reply, Looks like a good moniter and I am definately intrigued by the 25ms response. For $365 it is definately in my price rance. Does anyone know if it is wall mountable? I coulnt find it on the spec sheet. Any other thoughts on this or another moniter?

G

By the way, how are the viewing angles on the tft7020? Do the top and bottom always have the same amount of brightness/color saturation? Is it also even from side to side? The pv150 has viewing angles of 160°/160° and I may decide to return it for the tft7020 which has 150°/140°. I would be kicking myself if the viewing angles of the tft7020 were not good enough to make the entire screen appear even. The pv150 is perfect in that respect. Do you notice any afterglow/blurring/ghosting in fast action games on your tft7020?

ColdCathode

Distinguished
Jan 12, 2002
By the way, how are the viewing angles on the tft7020? Do the top and bottom always have the same amount of brightness/color saturation? Is it also even from side to side? The pv150 has viewing angles of 160°/160° and I may decide to return it for the tft7020 which has 150°/140°. I would be kicking myself if the viewing angles of the tft7020 were not good enough to make the entire screen appear even. The pv150 is perfect in that respect. Do you notice any afterglow/blurring/ghosting in fast action games on your tft7020?

I am extremely impressed with the 7020. The veiwing angles are good with very little variation of brightness/cs. Im just being really picky as it is very a negligible amount and the best ive seen on a lcd. I havent experienced any ghosting with anything other than high fps games, in which it is very very very hard to notice, but still able to be seen if you look closely. Again im just being picky as any lcd with response in the 25ms range is going to have some ghosting and in this case its not noticable unless you are really looking for. I am just trying to answer your q's as honestly as possible as I know how hard it was for me to make my decision. Overall I think its a great 17" lcd and have no reservations about recommending it to you. Since I got it I havn't had a second thought about the purcahse.

G

"Other than the veiwing angles is thier anything else you are not pleased with about the planar?"

I didn't mean to imply that the planar's viewing angles are bad. It was the rad-5 that had poor viewing angles. The planar's viewing angles are great!

The only thing I don't like about the planar is that it has quite heavy ghosting (IMHO) during fast action games. Others might describe it as minimal ghosting but I think it is very noticeable. The pv150 is analog only so if you wanted digital you would have to look elsewhere.

Also, cleartype (sub pixel font rendering) on an analog interface @1024x768 will just not look as good as on a digital @1280x1024 according to microsoft. They say that a digital interface and high dpi is better. So take that into consideration if you are a big fan of cleartype. Below I have pasted the URL of the m$ site that I read that info:

http://www.microsoft.com/hwdev/tech/display/clrtype.asp

<P ID="edit"><FONT SIZE=-1><EM>Edited by Eviscerate on 02/14/02 09:48 PM.</EM></FONT></P>

flamethrower205

Illustrious
Jun 26, 2001
this is just a theory, so don't flame me if I'm wrong, but b/c the allignment of the pixels in MVA, is it not possible that it's 25ms for one row- they look like this- \\\\\/////
so \\\\takes 25ms, and ///// takes 25ms, which is 50ms? (this is just a possibility, I am probably 100% wrong)

Only if you let me see the Umpa Lumpa- Homer Simpson.

imo

Distinguished
Feb 2, 2002
a 50ms response or even worst will not produce the kind of ghosting that some here have experience, such as scrolling on a web page or even moving mouse pointer, those kind of "ghosting" I last seen on my Cannon laptop many yrs ago with dualscan! aka pent 166mhz era!

SDLeMire

Distinguished
Jan 10, 2002
I'm using an IBM Thinkpad T21 right now (P3-800) and the screen ghosts with the mouse, text scrolling, everything. This is much more ghosting than the Planar had, though the response may be well over 50ms on this crappy lappy.