Question Got this small problem

nbartolo7

Distinguished
Sep 4, 2017
Got this slowdown sometimes, where there is a delay or it looks like its blocked and then does what I asked to do. One time the PC crashed because of one of these slowdowns, I think, can't be sure. Also happens when scrolling down or up on some websites, or when installing some programs which makes no sense given the PC build is fairly new and pretty good components. I would understand such slowdowns with lower end CPUs and motherboards maybe but with my specs, it makes no sense. But most of the time the system is fast and crisp, it's just really random. I have no spikes of activity that I can think of that would explain this. Other than fresh clean install, is there anything I can try? I know random and small anomalies like this one are usually hard to track down.

Got this slowdown sometimes, where there is a delay or it looks like its blocked and then does what I asked to do. One time the PC crashed because of one of these slowdowns, I think, can't be sure. Also happens when scrolling down or up on some websites, or when installing some programs which makes no sense given the PC build is fairly new and pretty good components. I would understand such slowdowns with lower end CPUs and motherboards maybe but with my specs, it makes no sense. But most of the time the system is fast and crisp, it's just really random. I have no spikes of activity that I can think of that would explain this. Other than fresh clean install, is there anything I can try? I know random and small anomalies like this one are usually hard to track down.
I'd start with BIOS by doing a CMOS reset, especially if you you've never done one since you originally built it.

Then un-install any motherboard apps or utilities. They are at best buggy, at worst little more than spy-ware reporting back to China on everything you do or install. You don't even need the drivers for LAN or audio since Windows will install compatible ones for you. WiFi may be necessary, but I'd suggest finding the WiFi chipset mfr's driver instead of using whatever the motherboard mfr. provides if you can.

In a command prompt with Admin Rights enter sfc /scannow and let it find and repair Windows system file corruption.

In the search box type disk cleanup and clean-up the system disk, usually C: drive. Be sure to also clean up system files. After it's completed repeat sfc /scannow in a Command prompt.

That fixes most Windows problems, more serious problems can be fixed with a repair install with in-place upgrade. It's similar to a clean install but it retains all settings, installed applications and games and their settings. If the problem is Windows related and none of the above fix it a clean install may be necessary, and especially so if you moved the system drive from your old computer into the new one without a fresh install.

The problem may not be Windows related but a custom setting you've made. That's where changing your BIOS, application or game settings to full default may help you find which it is.

A common hardware problem with new-builds is cooling. Adequate cross-flow ventilation is important for gaming since the GPU's hot exhaust can recirculate, make the it heat up and lower clocks. Just as bad is it can be drawn in by CPU air coolers and prevent it from being adequately cooled. If the CPU VRM is getting no airflow it will heat up and throttle the CPU to prevent damage. Most of these problems won't show up immediately but after the hardware has heat-soaked sufficiently.

This can be very difficult to solve on tiny SFF builds based on mini-ITX boards. What case do you have? How are case fans set up? What is your CPU cooling arrangement?

Last edited:
Reactions: nbartolo7

nbartolo7

Distinguished
Sep 4, 2017
I'd start with BIOS by doing a CMOS reset, especially if you you've never done one since you originally built it.

Then un-install any motherboard apps or utilities. They are at best buggy, at worst little more than spy-ware reporting back to China on everything you do or install. You don't even need the drivers for LAN or audio since Windows will install compatible ones for you. WiFi may be necessary, but I'd suggest finding the WiFi chipset mfr's driver instead of using whatever the motherboard mfr. provides if you can.

In a command prompt with Admin Rights enter sfc /scannow and let it find and repair Windows system file corruption.

In the search box type disk cleanup and clean-up the system disk, usually C: drive. Be sure to also clean up system files. After it's completed repeat sfc /scannow in a Command prompt.

That fixes most Windows problems, more serious problems can be fixed with a repair install with in-place upgrade. It's similar to a clean install but it retains all settings, installed applications and games and their settings. If the problem is Windows related and none of the above fix it a clean install may be necessary, and especially so if you moved the system drive from your old computer into the new one without a fresh install.

The problem may not be Windows related but a custom setting you've made. That's where changing your BIOS, application or game settings to full default may help you find which it is.

A common hardware problem with new-builds is cooling. Adequate cross-flow ventilation is important for gaming since the GPU's hot exhaust can recirculate, make the it heat up and lower clocks. Just as bad is it can be drawn in by CPU air coolers and prevent it from being adequately cooled. If the CPU VRM is getting no airflow it will heat up and throttle the CPU to prevent damage. Most of these problems won't show up immediately but after the hardware has heat-soaked sufficiently.

This can be very difficult to solve on tiny SFF builds based on mini-ITX boards. What case do you have? How are case fans set up? What is your CPU cooling arrangement?
Thanks. So, just to be clear, the in-place upgrade is the last resort that gives me the final answer, to wheter or not the issue I am having is related to Windows or not. Only if the in-place upgrade fails, would I move on to a clean install. Correct? And if in-place fails, should I do a clean install with the "keeping files" option turned on, or remove everything? Any difference between a reset with keeping files setting turned on and an in-place upgrade?

Thanks. So, just to be clear, the in-place upgrade is the last resort that gives me the final answer, to wheter or not the issue I am having is related to Windows or not. Only if the in-place upgrade fails, would I move on to a clean install. Correct? And if in-place fails, should I do a clean install with the "keeping files" option turned on, or remove everything? Any difference between a reset with keeping files setting turned on and an in-place upgrade?
If you moved a system drive to your newly built system without a clean install of Windows then I'd suggest to just go to a clean install. Doing something like that is only 100% successful if moving it from a system with the exact same motherboard. Even a different motherboard with the same chipset can cause problems with incompatible drivers for things like network and audio chipset interfering with operation.

Otherwise, yes. Go to "clean install" as the last resort. And do not use the "keeping files option", use the option to delete all existing partitions on the system drive and create new ones. Using the "keeping files option" is part of the "...In Place Upgrade" process so it may end up with the same result but can't say for certain.

Also, do either in-place upgrade or clean install after having reset CMOS with BIOS in default settings which I assume you've updated to the latest; if not do that first. Reason is the latest BIOS will help with setting up the system in UEFI mode and Secure Boot as it installs so Windows will run with best security.

Since the clean install deletes all existing partitions and recreates system partitions it should be obvious you need to make a good backup of your all your data on the system drive. Other drives in the system are safe and won't be touched but you can remove them if you want just to be sure. Re-attach them after the OS is installed, it will identify it at the next boot up and you'll have access to all the files on them. You'll have to re-install apps and games though, and probably assign drive letters using the Disk Manager Control Panel app.

Last edited:

nbartolo7

Distinguished
Sep 4, 2017
If you moved a system drive to your newly built system without a clean install of Windows then I'd suggest to just go to a clean install. Doing something like that is only 100% successful if moving it from a system with the exact same motherboard. Even a different motherboard with the same chipset can cause problems with incompatible drivers for things like network and audio chipset interfering with operation.

Otherwise, yes. Go to "clean install" as the last resort. And do not use the "keeping files option", use the option to delete all existing partitions on the system drive and create new ones. Using the "keeping files option" is part of the "...In Place Upgrade" process so it may end up with the same result but can't say for certain.

Also, do either in-place upgrade or clean install after having reset CMOS with BIOS in default settings which I assume you've updated to the latest; if not do that first. Reason is the latest BIOS will help with setting up the system in UEFI mode and Secure Boot as it installs so Windows will run with best security.

Since the clean install deletes all existing partitions and recreates system partitions it should be obvious you need to make a good backup of your all your data on the system drive. Other drives in the system are safe and won't be touched but you can remove them if you want just to be sure. Re-attach them after the OS is installed, it will identify it at the next boot up and you'll have access to all the files on them. You'll have to re-install apps and games though, and probably assign drive letters using the Disk Manager Control Panel app.
Will resetting the CMOS remove the latest BIOS update I had? Will I have to go fetch the latest BIOS update from the manufacturer's website again?

Will resetting the CMOS remove the latest BIOS update I had? Will I have to go fetch the latest BIOS update from the manufacturer's website again?
No it won't affect your BIOS version at all. All resetting CMOS does is restore BIOS settings to the optimum defaults for best compatibility with hardware.

I'd suggest just resetting CMOS first since it sounds like you never have. Then try running it a while to see if that helps.

USAFRet

Titan
This is new hardware, with the old OS install?

If so, there is your problem.

Clean install.
Not 'reset', not 'keep everything'..

Full wipe and reinstall.

nbartolo7

Distinguished
Sep 4, 2017
No it won't affect your BIOS version at all. All resetting CMOS does is restore BIOS settings to the optimum defaults for best compatibility with hardware.

I'd suggest just resetting CMOS first since it sounds like you never have. Then try running it a while to see if that helps.
Cool. One more thing. Do you know if an in-place upgrade always has more effect repairing a system, than the command lines DISM and sfc/scannow and chkdsk /f /r ? Or do they all serve a different purpose?

Why not just save time and go for an in-place upgrade everytime I have an issue? Basically, that's the question.

No, it's a new OS install on new hardware. Not sure why drea thought it was old install.
Cool. One more thing. Do you know if an in-place upgrade always has more effect repairing a system, than the command lines DISM and sfc/scannow and chkdsk /f /r ? Or do they all serve a different purpose?

Why not just save time and go for an in-place upgrade everytime I have an issue? Basically, that's the question.

I didn't exactly assume you'd moved the old OS install over...I did say "if" after all :) and it is so commonly done it's worth mentioning as a potential problem with a new build.

The in-place upgrade definitely helps when there is system corruption that SFC /scannow can't fix...I've used it several times myself. What DISM does is mostly accomplished by doing the Disk Cleanup. DISM also runs periodically as a scheduled task in the background.

ChkDsk repairs file system corruption, the sort of things that happen when you have a power outage with a whole bunch of files open, in the middle of being written to disk. It's much more a problem with FAT than NTFS volumes. I don't think In-Place Upgrade will repair any of that, in fact it will probably balk at starting it and make you fix the errors first. If they're unfixable then backups and a Clean Install will be probably be necessary. A Clean Install sidesteps any such problems because it completely deletes all system partitions and creates new ones so long as you use that option.

Last edited: