Got WHEA_UNCORRECTABLE_ERROR since a week

zsyntex

Commendable
Oct 1, 2017
Hi guys, it's since a week that I got this BSOD after a little session of gaming or simply during a tasks (yesterday happens after a boot-up and second times after 10 minutes of Shadow of War).

I've cleared the CMOS, reset the BIOS, did a IntelCPUTest that PASS, memtest86 and a HDD Test for Integrity (CrystalDisk etc.).
Everyone pass without any error.

So what is going on my PC?
I've a:

• ■i5-4670K
    ■AsRock Z87 Extreme 4
    ■G.Skill Ares 2x4GB 1866MHz
    ■WD Caviar Black 1TB
    ■Dissi CoolerMaster 212-Evo
    ■XFX 750W
    ■MSI GTX 960 4GB Armored

Colif

Win 11 Master
WHEA - Windows Hardware Error Architecture. Error called by CPU but not necessarily caused by it
Can be caused by heat so cleaned fans and heatsinks of dust?
Can be caused by overclocking software so remove MSI Afterburner, Intel extreme Tuning Utility

Can you follow option one on the following link - here
and then do this step below: Small memory dumps - Have Windows Create a Small Memory Dump (Minidump) on BSOD

that creates a file in c windows/minidump after the next BSOD
copy that file to documents
upload the copy from documents to a cloud server and share the link here and I will get someone to convert file into a format I can read

Colif

Win 11 Master
I would reboot anyway. If you can get into windows, have a look in the C:/windows/minidump folder and see if it did create anything

Otherwise, can you look in C:/windows folder, set view to show hidden files and folders, and see how big your memory.dmp file is. Problem with it is it can be massive and the person I ask to convert the files for me has slow internet and anything over 1gb is too big for him to download. There are a few other people here who can read them, they may look in thread and download a file if its a reasonable size.

Its why I suggested minidumps,. they are only 256kb in size and way easier to deal with.

Colif

Win 11 Master
WHEA errors can be any hardware. So far your CPU has passed, hdd seem okay as well, ram... it happened during gaming, can you try running off the motherboard (CPU) instead of GTX 960 and see if you still get errors.

zsyntex

Commendable
Oct 1, 2017

Okay, take this. I fal into another BSOD 20 minutes ago, that's the minidump (256k) that I got.
https://drive.google.com/file/d/1Cg5RCdoFgjg-vLQIh_BsISl2GqY2epkl/view?usp=sharing

zsyntex

Commendable
Oct 1, 2017

Okay, I read the minidump and seems the crash was attributed to ntoskrnl.exe, probably a GPU Driver fault. I'm gonna uninstall it via DDU and re-install ex-novo.
God bless nVIDIA haha

gardenman

Splendid
Hi, I ran the dump file through the debugger and got the following information: https://pste.eu/p/epxK.html

File: 110318-29937-01.dmp (Nov 3 2018 - 10:20:36)
BugCheck: [WHEA_UNCORRECTABLE_ERROR (124)]
Probably caused by: GenuineIntel (Process: Middle Earth S)
Uptime: 0 Day(s), 22 Hour(s), 46 Min(s), and 31 Sec(s)

The overclocking driver "IOCBios2.sys" was found on your system. (Intel Extreme Tuning Utility)
The overclocking driver "RTCore64.sys" was found on your system. (MSI Afterburner)

Remove all overclocks, they can be the cause of your BSODs.

Motherboard: https://www.asrock.com/mb/Intel/Z87%20Extreme4/

I can't help you with this. Wait for additional replies. Good luck.

Colif

Win 11 Master
Overclocking software is normally the only type of software that can cause WHEA errors so remove the 2 suggested by Gardenman. The top one may be part of an Asrock tuning app if you have it installed. even if its not running it can still change values in the CPU

You have the latest BIOS

ntoskrnl gets blamed for everything, only as it does so much inside windows. Looks after driver requests, power management and Memory management. All high lvl commands run through it.

zsyntex

Commendable
Oct 1, 2017

Thank you, and that's why I uninstall them (Intel Xtreme and MSI Afterburner) and test my PC during this week, since I got 2 BSOD during these 4 days. :pfff:
I remove all the overclocks and just for personal purpose, reset BIOS/clear CMOS once again.
That's the latest BSOD got some minutes ago during a gameplay: BSOD of 12/11/2018

EDIT: I got another info. I got these BSOD since Windows Update couldn't install the cumulative October Update, gave me 0x8007000d error everytime.
Something it's not working on Windows 10.

zsyntex

Commendable
Oct 1, 2017

That's reasonable, but I bought this overclock PC hardware to.. overclock. It's unbelievable that the OC BIOS Settings and the 2 most used and official app for OC are the reason for this BSOD.
I'm stunned, really. :heink:

gardenman

Splendid
I ran the new dump file through the debugger and got the following information: https://pste.eu/p/jdgS.html

File: 111218-19812-01.dmp (Nov 12 2018 - 12:19:03)
BugCheck: [WHEA_UNCORRECTABLE_ERROR (124)]
Probably caused by: GenuineIntel (Process: GameOverlayUI.)
Uptime: 2 Day(s), 4 Hour(s), 56 Min(s), and 04 Sec(s)

The overclocking driver "IOCBios2.sys" was found on your system. (Intel Extreme Tuning Utility)

I can't help you with this. Wait for additional replies. Good luck.

the bios sets various voltages and clock rates to cpu pins. the voltages are used to set clock rates that are used to syncronize data movement between different levels of cache inside the cpu. kind of like haveing to just from one car going down the street to another. if they are going about the same speed the data remains intact as is moves thru the cache. if the speed are not close enough then the data becomes corrupted and the memory controller detects the corruption and tells the cpu. The cpu then calls a bugcheck to shutdown the system.

the bios sets default voltages, then the overclock driver tweeks the voltages as the system runs.
the GPU overclock driver can also cause the gpu to use more power. This can cause the voltages to the CPU to fluctuate and screw up the sync between levels of cache.
(all of these effects also depend on the temps that the components are working at)

old bios version might use different default voltages than what a updated overclock driver will assume is correct. (different cpus use different voltages over the years)

generally, debugging overclock issues is something that is very specialized. I generally, just have people remove the drivers and see if they can get the problem with a stock windows setup.
overclock drivers still tweak voltages even if you don't tell it to.

BIOS_DATE: 04/12/2016

RivaTuner/EVGA Precision/MSI Afterburner
RTCore64.sys Fri Sep 30 05:03:17 2016

Intel Extreme Tuning Utility Performance Tuning Driver
iocbios2.sys Tue May 8 01:22:49 2018
(you may find that a older verison of this driver might work better with your older cpu, newer CPUs use a much lower voltage than the older versions, the newer driver might provide too low of a voltage to the pins for the given clock rate, (underclock like problem(moving from a high speed to low speed bus can cause your data to corrupt) )

cpu memory controller reported a fatal error in its cache bank
Severity : Fatal
Error Type : Cache error
Operation : Generic
Error : DCACHEL0_WR_ERR (Proc 1 Bank 1)

cpu release:Q2'13 (now discontinued)

Processor Version Intel(R) Core(TM) i5-4670K CPU @ 3.40GHz
Processor Voltage 8ch - 1.2V
External Clock 100MHz
Max Speed 3800MHz
Current Speed 3400MHz

zsyntex

Commendable
Oct 1, 2017

Yes, and that's why I uninstalled for second time Intel XTU (that I've already uninstalled, but reappeared again). After this, re-installed Windows 10 in-place with an USB-stick.
Today, after 2 hours of gameplay, a new BSOD displays with same error.
I'm annoyied, really. That's it: BSOD of 13/11/2018

zsyntex

Commendable
Oct 1, 2017

As said before, I got another BSOD after installed Windows 10 in-place and uninstalled again Intel XTU.
Yes, and that's why I uninstalled for second time Intel XTU (that I've already uninstalled, but reappeared again). Today, after 2 hours of gameplay, a new BSOD displays with same error.
I'm annoyied, really. That's it: BSOD of 13/11/2018

another cache error
DCACHEL0_WR_ERR (Proc 1 Bank 1)

overclock driver is loaded:
iocbios2.sys Tue May 8 01:22:49 2018

you should search your drive and just delete the file and find out why it is getting installed again.

system was up for 20 hours

gardenman

Splendid

Is it actually being re-installed (the whole program) or is just the driver file keeps showing up? It could be that the uninstall just didn't remove the driver, and it's still being loaded. If the whole program is being reloaded then it's likely some automatic driver / utility installer on the system, find a way to disable it.

See the 3rd and 4th messages on this thread:
http://www.tomshardware.com/forum/id-3819323/bsod-bad-pool-caller-windows.html

audiospecaccts

Upstanding
Oct 13, 2018
Where is it installing from (xtu) ? That program should never be ran on a system that hasn't been intel verified. Because there are boards that have a different address for the clock controller (0x80004005). When they have deviated from this, the manufacturer compile its own version of the same program packaged as whatever they want to call it with the motherboard cd.

This is why it crashes.