Gparted partition manager or???

s_b2013

Reputable
Mar 3, 2014
I need to view my partitions to verify the sizes and volume labels. I put a new hard drive in my lenovo laptop and now the "recover to factory settings" wont work. I read online that when installing a new hard drive that some times the recovery partition ID may not copy correctly to the new hard drive. One suggestion was to download "gparted" and reset the partition ID. Is this the easiest/best software for this. The post I was reading was from 2011 so I'm guessing by now there could something better to use.

Steve

paulemannsen

Honorable
May 10, 2012
yes it is. download the latest gparted iso. download the latest "yumi"(program to make bootable usb sticks with all kinds of isos. use yumi to make a bootable usb stick with gparted on it.

reboot the pc. make sure your bios will boot from the stick. when linux/gparted asks you something just press enter until u get to the linuxdesktop.

have fun with viewing your hdds//partitions. careful with changing anything though ;)

s_b2013

Reputable
Mar 3, 2014

When I opened the boot options with the F12 key I only have 2 options;
HDD or CD/DVD However when viewing "setup" there are multiple boot options, one being "removable device"
How can I verify if my computer can boot from a usb device?