GPD Micro PC Has More Ports Than Some Full-Sized Ones

Jan 5, 2019
I have their GPD Win products (both the 1 and 2) and they make great stuff. The GPD Win 2 is fantastic when used within its limitations.

Jan 5, 2019
They haven't announced their next products, so who knows. All I know is their Windows-based lines have done very well, so I'm sure they have some new things cooking.

Jan 5, 2019
The GPD Win 2 and Pocket 2 are much more powerful, but also much more expensive. You shouldn't expect i7 performance for $300...

bloodroses

Distinguished
I had one of their original GPD XD devices. The battery died in 3 months and their support was non-existent. Until they get proper support in the US, I'd have to say a hard pass on anything they make. It is a shame though, as the product seemed nice while it lasted.

...and, for IT professionals who use older parts, a serial port.
Can you believe Apple doesn't even include a serial port on the macbook air? : 3

This device should technically be a bit faster at multithreaded tasks due to its true quad-core processor compared to the i5-460M's hyperthreaded dual cores, and of course the integrated graphics should be a decent amount faster and the efficiency a lot higher. And to put things in perspective, the Celeron N4100 should actually be faster than the processor in current "mid-range" smartphones costing more than this. For those needing a compact Windows/Linux device to interface with hardware or run certain software in the field, this could be a nice product.

The N4100 has a 6 watt TDP, while the 2200U has a 15 watt TDP. With a device this small, that might make a notable difference to battery life and thermals.

allbrightwes

Reputable
Mar 12, 2014
This would be a hit at the office if it took VGA and usb into the unit to allow it to be a display for servers when needed. A tiny crash cart with serial when you need to reconfig a switch? Perfect.

dstln

Distinguished
Jun 8, 2007

Price and heat. 15 watt vs 6 watts is huge in essentially a small tablet form factor