News GPD Win Max 2 Crowdfunder Reveals Pricing

All things considered, the starting price is not that bad. The APU in this thing is way more powerful than the APU in the Steam Deck for sure (there's a preview of another handheld with the 6800U and it roflstomps the Deck's APU), so the asking price is competitive I'd say.

This could definitely be worth considering from the specs alone, but I could not buy this blindly TBH. The shape of it and the keyboard make this more of a laptop replacement than a handheld, which is weird to say, but it looks and feels more like a laptop than console? The comfort aspect may suffer due to the shape. Also: battery. Weird, but oh well.

Regards.

salgado18

Distinguished
Feb 12, 2007
All things considered, the starting price is not that bad. The APU in this thing is way more powerful than the APU in the Steam Deck for sure (there's a preview of another handheld with the 6800U and it roflstomps the Deck's APU), so the asking price is competitive I'd say.

This could definitely be worth considering from the specs alone, but I could not buy this blindly TBH. The shape of it and the keyboard make this more of a laptop replacement than a handheld, which is weird to say, but it looks and feels more like a laptop than console? The comfort aspect may suffer due to the shape. Also: battery. Weird, but oh well.

Regards.
I think it is not a direct competitor to the Steam Deck because of that. It is more like a netbook with joysticks, which already puts it in a different niche. I'd prefer it over portable console-like pcs for this reason, especially if I can just put it on the bed, connect a mouse and play first person games better than with the controllers, or even surf the web or edit some spreadsheet. To me, these are very different products.

But it still makes me want a quad-core Zen 3 with the full 12 CU graphics unit.

Reactions: -Fran-
I think it is not a direct competitor to the Steam Deck because of that. It is more like a netbook with joysticks, which already puts it in a different niche. I'd prefer it over portable console-like pcs for this reason, especially if I can just put it on the bed, connect a mouse and play first person games better than with the controllers, or even surf the web or edit some spreadsheet. To me, these are very different products.

But it still makes me want a quad-core Zen 3 with the full 12 CU graphics unit.
That's an absolutely fair take and you're right. If you want an even smaller laptop, then this is a good product. Haha, it's kind of mindblowing from that angle... The size of it is just... Wow...

Anyway, this is the video I mentioned for anyone curious:
View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Bcfy6DaY5W8

Regards.

Reactions: salgado18

AtrociKitty

Reputable
Apr 23, 2020
I have the original Win Max, and it's really the ideal formfactor if you're looking for a device like this. Small enough to be more portable than my usual laptop, but with a keyboard big enough that I can still type comfortably. Integrated controls make it easy to use on a plane, without needing to fit a controller into my personal bag.

I see the Win Max line as more of an all-in-one type of device, rather than a dedicated console. Something like the GPD Win 3 is more of a Steam Deck and handheld competitor if that's what you're looking for.

criticaloftom

Prominent
Jun 14, 2022
It never fails to surprise me after how many people get burned by crowdfunding how they still throw money at these shady operators. Just look at the Mr.Card Game kickstarter; people funded it, it came into being, but even though the investors which is what people consider themselves as when funding these projects ; they didn't receive what they were owed for the successful kickstarter and for all their hard work even years on they have nothing to show for it while the Mr. Card Game is still being sold for profit. All these crowdfunding platforms are merely scam websites and anyone who gambles a cool $1000 usd on anything through them is a fool with too much money soon to be parted.

CaptainBrowncoat

Prominent
Jul 7, 2022
It never fails to surprise me after how many people get burned by crowdfunding how they still throw money at these shady operators. Just look at the Mr.Card Game kickstarter; people funded it, it came into being, but even though the investors which is what people consider themselves as when funding these projects ; they didn't receive what they were owed for the successful kickstarter and for all their hard work even years on they have nothing to show for it while the Mr. Card Game is still being sold for profit. All these crowdfunding platforms are merely scam websites and anyone who gambles a cool $1000 usd on anything through them is a fool with too much money soon to be parted.

You obviously don't know this, but GPD has been around for at least a decade. They're not perfect, but they've far from a "shady" company.

CaptainBrowncoat

Prominent
Jul 7, 2022
What's with the weird embedded numeric keypad layout? They doubled the 7, 8, & 9 keys right under the normal ones, there's no basic math symbols, the zero is weirdly offset & overlaid onto the ALT key - it makes no sense. Why not use the standard laptop embedded numeric keypad layout?

78904.image0.jpg

(https://www.dummies.com/wp-content/uploads/78904.image0.jpg from https://www.dummies.com/article/tec...-hidden-numeric-keypad-on-your-laptop-206927/)

Also, I don't get why anyone bothers with pen support on a screen that doesn't fold over flat. If this had one of those double-hinges to flip the screen into a tablet mode, that'd make sense. It'd be great for artists and such (although it should have the pen included with a secure storage place built in).

Fix these two things and I'd even be willing to spend an extra hundred or two for this.

Last edited: