News GPD's Win 3 Tiger Lake Gaming Handheld Goes On Sale This Month

Status
Not open for further replies.

excalibur1814

Distinguished
Sep 12, 2009
For those of us that remember the UMPC era, that lasted 3 seconds, only to then become 'mids' and then vanish, Sony will sue in 3...2...1... .

1280x720 is awful on a screen that size. Dialog boxes will vanish at the bottom of the screen. I've been here with the Asus R2H. Also owned the a Sony UX. They were great, with really terrible battery life.

roadrunner343

Distinguished
Aug 22, 2009
Or anyone that wants to use their already large Steam library on the go (Me). I had the GPD Win 2 and I really liked it. I eventually did sell it, as I just used my laptop, but I was also tempted by this. Ultimately, even the early backer price for the GPD Win 3 was just too high for me. to justify

Or anyone that wants to use their already large Steam library on the go (Me). I had the GPD Win 2 and I really liked it. I eventually did sell it, as I just used my laptop, but I was also tempted by this. Ultimately, even the early backer price for the GPD Win 3 was just too high for me. to justify
That's the issue right there. I use my Steam Library on the go sometimes--but I use it on my laptop. It's got a better interface, GPU, CPU, and screen for only $450. I just don't understand the point of this $1000 device.

roadrunner343

Distinguished
Aug 22, 2009
That's the issue right there. I use my Steam Library on the go sometimes--but I use it on my laptop. It's got a better interface, GPU, CPU, and screen for only $450. I just don't understand the point of this $1000 device.
Yeah, I agree that this one is too expensive. The Win 2 was borderline too expensive for me too, but I really like the form factor. It just seems to fit into my lifestyle better. I'm primarily a PC gamer, but I love my Switch as well, which I play 99% handheld - so having a handheld PC was awesome. Ignoring price, I would definitely prefer to play my controller based games on a device like the Win 3 - but now that I have a Switch, I'm not exactly lacking for portable games, and I still prefer to play keyboard/mouse on my laptop/desktop. Still, at $600-$700, I likely would have jumped on board again, so I can see the appeal. Definitely a niche in a niche, though.

Yeah, I agree that this one is too expensive. The Win 2 was borderline too expensive for me too, but I really like the form factor. It just seems to fit into my lifestyle better. I'm primarily a PC gamer, but I love my Switch as well, which I play 99% handheld - so having a handheld PC was awesome. Ignoring price, I would definitely prefer to play my controller based games on a device like the Win 3 - but now that I have a Switch, I'm not exactly lacking for portable games, and I still prefer to play keyboard/mouse on my laptop/desktop. Still, at $600-$700, I likely would have jumped on board again, so I can see the appeal. Definitely a niche in a niche, though.
I think the switch kind of destroys the concept of anything else for high-end mobile gaming (that is to say that phones aren't true gaming). At the price, it's a pretty ridiculous steal. My students used to bring them in at lunch last year to play on the projector in my classroom.

Status
Not open for further replies.