GPO special case user account options and inheritance ques..

djc

Distinguished
Jun 16, 2004

I understand that account options like password policies, and account
lockouts, etc... configured at the domain level are the only user account
policies actually applied... meaning if a lower level container had a
conflicting policy configured it would not change the domain level one...

1) please correct me if I'm wrong with my statement above
2) if a lower level container has the Block Policy Inheritance option set
will the domain level user account policies still be applied? or would the
Block Policy Inheritance actually block them?

any info is appreciated... thanks.

1) you are correct with your first statement. One piece of clarification.
Account policy configuration applied at any level (OU) below the domain
level will configure the 'local account policy settings'. This means if a
computer account is the recipient of the account policy applied at a level
other than the Default Domain Policy the settings will take affect when
logging on locally.
(http://www.microsoft.com/resources/documentation/Windows/XP/all/reskit/en-u
s/Default.asp?url=/resources/documentation/windows/xp/all/reskit/en-us/prdp_
log_csiq.asp)
2) Block policy inheritance should not block the domain level account
policies. I have not tested this but believe this to be true. I am curious
if anyone finds different information.
(http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;255550) I think one
main point here is that Domain Controllers behave a bit differently than
other systems on the network. Since they share the NTDS.dit and there needs
to be a mechanism to ensure consistency across these replicas.

HTH

Kevin
AutoProf
http://www.autoprof.com/policy

"djc" <noone@nowhere.com> wrote in message
> I understand that account options like password policies, and account
> lockouts, etc... configured at the domain level are the only user account
> policies actually applied... meaning if a lower level container had a
> conflicting policy configured it would not change the domain level one...
>
> 1) please correct me if I'm wrong with my statement above
> 2) if a lower level container has the Block Policy Inheritance option set
> will the domain level user account policies still be applied? or would the
> Block Policy Inheritance actually block them?
>
> any info is appreciated... thanks.

djc

Distinguished
Jun 16, 2004

Thanks Kevin... I'll check out the links you provided as well. I have a
related question though:
When policy is applied to a computer account and effects the machines local
policy when logged on to locally as you stated before in your
clarification... does this local policy still take effect when the machine
is not connected (physically unplugged) to the network?

thanks agian.

"Kevin Sullivan" <ksullivan@autoprof.com> wrote in message
> 1) you are correct with your first statement. One piece of clarification.
> Account policy configuration applied at any level (OU) below the domain
> level will configure the 'local account policy settings'. This means if a
> computer account is the recipient of the account policy applied at a level
> other than the Default Domain Policy the settings will take affect when
> logging on locally.

(http://www.microsoft.com/resources/documentation/Windows/XP/all/reskit/en-u

s/Default.asp?url=/resources/documentation/windows/xp/all/reskit/en-us/prdp_
> log_csiq.asp)
> 2) Block policy inheritance should not block the domain level account
> policies. I have not tested this but believe this to be true. I am curious
> if anyone finds different information.
> (http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;255550) I think
one
> main point here is that Domain Controllers behave a bit differently than
> other systems on the network. Since they share the NTDS.dit and there
needs
> to be a mechanism to ensure consistency across these replicas.
>
> HTH
>
> Kevin
> AutoProf
> http://www.autoprof.com/policy
>
> "djc" <noone@nowhere.com> wrote in message
> > I understand that account options like password policies, and account
> > lockouts, etc... configured at the domain level are the only user
account
> > policies actually applied... meaning if a lower level container had a
> > conflicting policy configured it would not change the domain level
one...

> > 1) please correct me if I'm wrong with my statement above
> > 2) if a lower level container has the Block Policy Inheritance option
set
> > will the domain level user account policies still be applied? or would
the
> > Block Policy Inheritance actually block them?
> >
> > any info is appreciated... thanks.

If it applied, it should always apply until changed, or the computer is
dis-joined from the domain.

Ken

"Ken B" <none@microsoft.com> wrote in message
> If it applied, it should always apply until changed, or the computer is
> dis-joined from the domain.
>
> Ken
>

> "djc" <noone@nowhere.com> wrote in message
> > Thanks Kevin... I'll check out the links you provided as well. I have a
> > related question though:
> > When policy is applied to a computer account and effects the machines
> local
> > policy when logged on to locally as you stated before in your
> > clarification... does this local policy still take effect when the
machine
> > is not connected (physically unplugged) to the network?
> >
> > thanks agian.
> >
> > "Kevin Sullivan" <ksullivan@autoprof.com> wrote in message
> > > 1) you are correct with your first statement. One piece of
> clarification.
> > > Account policy configuration applied at any level (OU) below the
domain
> > > level will configure the 'local account policy settings'. This means
if
> > > computer account is the recipient of the account policy applied at a
> level
> > > other than the Default Domain Policy the settings will take affect
when
> > > logging on locally.

(http://www.microsoft.com/resources/documentation/Windows/XP/all/reskit/en-u

s/Default.asp?url=/resources/documentation/windows/xp/all/reskit/en-us/prdp_
> > > log_csiq.asp)
> > > 2) Block policy inheritance should not block the domain level account
> > > policies. I have not tested this but believe this to be true. I am
> curious
> > > if anyone finds different information.
> > > (http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;255550) I
think
> > one
> > > main point here is that Domain Controllers behave a bit differently
than
> > > other systems on the network. Since they share the NTDS.dit and there
> > needs
> > > to be a mechanism to ensure consistency across these replicas.
> > >
> > > HTH
> > >
> > > Kevin
> > > AutoProf
> > > http://www.autoprof.com/policy