GPOs and VPN

djc

Distinguished
Jun 16, 2004

I have remote users that login to the domain with cached credentials, so
they are not connected to the domain yet, and then connect via vpn to access
network resources.

How will group policy be affected by this? In other words, if I update a
group policy object will they get the change over the VPN?

any info is appreciated. Thanks.

When a user logs in with cached domain credentials and then logs into the domain via
vpn, they do not have their user configuration Group Policy refreshed as a normal lan
network logon or logging into the domain via vpn by checking "dial/use this
connection" that you see at the normal control-alt-delete screen. Once they are
connected via vpn their Group Policy user and computer configuration will be
refreshed as normal except for any limitations of "slow link detection" which is
configurable for both computer and user configuration. Note that a user may not
receive a Group Policy refresh unless connected for a fair amount of time as by
default the refresh period is 90 minutes with a random offset of 30 minutes which
also is configurable via Group Policy for user and computer configuration. The links
below may help. --- Steve

http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb%3Ben-us%3B227260 --- Group Policy /
roaming profiles and slow link detection. May affect vpn connection.
http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;EN-US;203607 --- Modify Group
Policy refresh interval.

"djc" <noone@nowhere.com> wrote in message
> I have remote users that login to the domain with cached credentials, so
> they are not connected to the domain yet, and then connect via vpn to access
> network resources.
>
> How will group policy be affected by this? In other words, if I update a
> group policy object will they get the change over the VPN?
>
> any info is appreciated. Thanks.

djc

Distinguished
Jun 16, 2004