GPS Act Aims To Stop Warrantless Smartphone Tracking Done With Cell-Site Simulators

Status
Not open for further replies.

Daekar3

Commendable
Aug 12, 2016
The government absolutely should pass this. The out of control alphabet soup agencies have been abusing their power long enough. Our collective values dictate a policy of freedom, transparency, and respect for personal rights, not oppression, secrecy, and mass surveillance.

While I have my doubts about how this will actually curtail the practice (They'll find a judge who will give them a "yes" practically every time they ask, or go ahead and do it anyway under guises of "patriot act" use. Unfortunately when Govt is in bed with law/enforcement and/or the judicial system.... things will get ignored, or instructed to be kept private usually in favor of some political group or super-group (especially if "above the law") protecting their own and/or their power.

I do believe these things are too large a net and susceptible to misuse/abuse. Plus, who knows what criminals may have obtained for illicit theft of data. (End to end encryption IS a must... but unfortunately is and will never be, 100% secure against the right tools and enough time.)

Stubbies

Commendable
Jan 6, 2017
Yeah LE has already proven with civil asset forfeiture that if you give them a chance to abuse something they will do so and vehemently fight to keep that ability to abuse constitutional rights.

As typical, our Congress Critters have been asleep at the switch.

Cell-site simulators drift-netting data/com streams along with GPS-tracking are an obvious violation of the 4th Amendment. Obscuring that obvious fact with NDAs and Federal G-Man 'training' on court testimony does not perfume the stench emanating from this lawlessness.

BUT ..... rest assured, America. Congress will see that the perpetrators of these Constitutional violations receive retroactive immunity from prosecution for their crimes.

wsmith

Honorable
Oct 23, 2013
Am I to really believe that the telcos themselves couldn't easily prevent cell phones from connecting to anything but their own towers?

Status
Not open for further replies.