[SOLVED] GPT and win10 installation on ssd

Ivan Tuzikov

Honorable
Nov 10, 2016
I'am gonna buy the new multimedia rig.

The question is: at which step should I select GPT in BIOS/UEFI prior to installing Win10 on the SSD. Or should I select GPT when Win10 installer promts? Also I want to know which size of minimum logical block should I select at the step of formatting partition for my future SSD: SAMSUNG 970 EVO MZ-V7E1T0BW 1ТБ, M.2 2280, PCI-E x4, NVMe ?

Thanks in advance.

Solution
The question is: at which step should I select GPT in BIOS/UEFI prior to installing Win10 on the SSD.
Or should I select GPT when Win10 installer promts?
Also I want to know which size of minimum logical block should I select at the step of formatting partition for my future SSD: SAMSUNG 970 EVO MZ-V7E1T0BW 1ТБ, M.2 2280, PCI-E x4, NVMe ?
None of that is necessary.
Clean the drive before installing windows. You can do that with diskpart (Shift+F10 to open command prompt).
After that allow windows install process to proceed as it wants.

BTW - windows install process doesn't allow selecting GPT/MBR install type.
If you boot install media in UEFI mode, only GPT install is available.
If you boot in legacy...

RealBeast

Titan
I'am gonna buy the new multimedia rig.

The question is: at which step should I select GPT in BIOS/UEFI prior to installing Win10 on the SSD. Or should I select GPT when Win10 installer promts? Also I want to know which size of minimum logical block should I select at the step of formatting partition for my future SSD: SAMSUNG 970 EVO MZ-V7E1T0BW 1ТБ, M.2 2280, PCI-E x4, NVMe ?

Thanks in advance.
UEFI. UEFI with Windows 10 requires GPT for the boot drive and the default allocation block size is 4K (4096 bytes). Don't change it.

You do not need to format a drive first, Windows 10 will do it prior to installing the OS.

The question is: at which step should I select GPT in BIOS/UEFI prior to installing Win10 on the SSD.
Or should I select GPT when Win10 installer promts?
Also I want to know which size of minimum logical block should I select at the step of formatting partition for my future SSD: SAMSUNG 970 EVO MZ-V7E1T0BW 1ТБ, M.2 2280, PCI-E x4, NVMe ?
None of that is necessary.
Clean the drive before installing windows. You can do that with diskpart (Shift+F10 to open command prompt).
After that allow windows install process to proceed as it wants.

BTW - windows install process doesn't allow selecting GPT/MBR install type.
If you boot install media in UEFI mode, only GPT install is available.
If you boot in legacy mode, only MBR install is available.

Solution
At which step and where should I select UEFI mode for boot?
In BIOS boot priority settings. If CSM is disabled, then only UEFI mode is available.
[UEFI] USB flash drive - boots into UEFI mode
USB flash drive - boots into legacy mode.

msi-boot-order-example-min_zpsdmu19abk-696x523.jpg