GPT disk for Windows 10 preview

dutche99

Honorable
Apr 4, 2014
I recently tried to install the windows 10 preview on my computer. I needed to dual boot, so I made a bootable usb with the .iso on it and restarted to boot from the USB stick. That's all fine, but when I got to the stage where you select the partition to install 10 on, it said something along the lines of 'you cannot install windows on a mbr drive. Convert to gpt'. How do I do that? And since I only and running one hard drive, will it erase all my data from other partitions or will it still be there afterwards? As well, for anyone out there who is using or has used windows 10, is it any good?

Solution
yes it will delete your drive and convert it over during the install process, also using 10 every day besides the keylogger they install it works great

dutche99

Honorable
Apr 4, 2014

So it will totally format the drive?

stokedboss

Honorable
Feb 17, 2013
The OP said he couldn't install because his drive was MBR. What needs to happen, does Windows have to format the drive? My GPT drive wouldn't work, and his MBR doesn't. What's the solution? Not to hijack this thread...

ScottHR

Reputable
Oct 21, 2014

I also would like to know if it will blank the entire drive, or just the partition I want to use for Win10. I want to keep my Win7 on the main partition, but want to try Win10 on my blank partition.

stokedboss

Honorable
Feb 17, 2013
I got it to install on a separate partition just fine, and I'm dual booting windows 7 and 10. It will only wipe the partition you want to install it on, unless you tell it otherwise in the installer.

LionBlade123

Reputable
Jan 18, 2015

Yes it will completely reformat the drive, destroying all data.

Dulla1031

Reputable
May 12, 2015
I know I'm late to this party but I just got though the original OP's very issue. Easiest solution which DOES NOT DESTROY DATA, is to create a bootable USB drive using your WIN 10 ISO image and RUFUS bootable USB utility....http://rufus.akeo.ie/ When creating the image on the thumb drive, under "Partition Scheme and target system type" dropdown, select "GPT partition scheme for UEFI computer". Keep the file system as FAT32 and create the bootable ISO image...It wiil take several minutes, so go grab a cup of joe. When it's done, make sure you adjust your BIOS to boot from USB drive first...It will go through the install and allow you to install WIN 10 on your GPT Partition like normal, without destroying data. Hope this helps someone.

LionBlade123

Reputable
Jan 18, 2015

Yes, that will work also, just tested this on my own computer and fully working.