[SOLVED] GPT Formatting question regarding installation of new internal WD 4TB HDD

realghostbuster

Reputable
Jan 18, 2019
Hi there,

I'm hoping to purchase a new 4TB WD Blue internal HDD into my 10 year old PC and I'm not sure how I will go about formatting the 4TB drive when I connect it to one of the two remaining SATA2(3G) ports on my motherboard.
I have an ASUS P8H61-M (LGA 1155) Motherboard that has four SATA 2 (3GB) ports, two of which are occupied at the moment(one by the CD/DVD disk drive and the other by the 1TB internal boot hard drive).

I'm been told that "I will need to convert the WD Blue HDD to GPT when I format to be able to use all 4TB if I am are using Windows". Is this true? Does anybody know why must I have to convert the drive to GPT to be able to use the entirety of the 4TB's of storage?

Any helpful information would be much appreciated.

Kind regards,

Brendan

realghostbuster

Reputable
Jan 18, 2019
Thanks for the helpful reply.

I have Windows 10 64 bit installed on my 1TB boot drive.
When I fit the 4TB WD Blue HDD into my PC and turn it on how do I go about converting it to GPT format? Will Windows prompt me to do so when I turn on the computer or will I have to go to "This PC" and find the new drive, right click on it and format it?