Question GPT SSD Win 10 will not install- new hard drive

Crusin_King

Commendable
Sep 18, 2016
GPT SSD Win 10 will not install- new hard drive Help?
I am trying to install windows 10 on a brand new hard drive:

WD Blue 3D NAND 1TB PC SSD - SATA III 6 Gb/s, 2.5"/7mm - WDS100T2B0A
by Western Digital
Every time I try it fails right at the copy window it fails to say something about media or can't find hardware or wrong file system, which the drive is GPT or wrong order of partitions. I have tried switching SATA ports. I also prepped the drive first by creating a new volume, I have searched Microsoft's web forums and cannot find my issue there.

I have several screenshots that will help you know my machine's systems and hardware. This computer is a 5 screen self-constructed Bad-ass that I am proud of, but systems need updating to keep current on remaining fast to do my work on. This is my main computer for school and my business. I need to fix this fast. .sys info one, sys info 2, sys info 3, sys info 4, sys info 5, sys info 6, sys info 7
New SSD= (i:)
Please help me.
Capture.png

Colif

Win 11 Master
which drive is it?

i would d/c all other drives while you install it or it won't create its own efi, but use the one on disk 2... unless you want it to?

interesting mix of gpt and mbr drives you have there.
The media error can be caused by the actual USB you are using, windows may not have drivers for it. Try another USB

wrong order of partitions is an odd one. Only way I can see that being a problem is if its trying to format it as MBR and the boot partition isn't 1st one. Not seen that error before... but your PC having MBR & GPT drives could be a reason.

If drive 0 is the 1tb, then its formatted as MBR since its an active partition (GPT drives don't have active partitions). The bios might be swapping between both boot methods each time you restart it. So half installs are trying mBR and other half are trying GPT...

Last edited:

Crusin_King

Commendable
Sep 18, 2016
which drive is it?

i would d/c all other drives while you install it or it won't create its own efi, but use the one on disk 2... unless you want it to?

interesting mix of gpt and mbr drives you have there.
The media error can be caused by the actual USB you are using, windows may not have drivers for it. Try another USB

wrong order of partitions is an odd one. Only way I can see that being a problem is if its trying to format it as MBR and the boot partition isn't 1st one. Not seen that error before... but your PC having MBR & GPT drives could be a reason.

If drive 0 is the 1tb, then its formatted as MBR since its an active partition (GPT don't have active partitions)
I will try that, although I have loaded new windows without d/c the other drives before.

When I bring up properties on this drive it says it is a GPT format
SSD-properties-Volumes.png

This drive is SSD and the other storage drive is HDD so I cannot do that.

As far as the USB drive that is an internal jump drive that is straight on the motherboard and has bios and other pertinent info.

I am using a DVD image to load the software, but I do possess an imaged USB drive with win10 imaged on it.

Thank you for your thoughts on my issue I will try it right after I get back from class.
I made a larger view of my drives:
C: SSD 300GB,
D:HDD, 1TB
E:SSD, 2TB
F:HDD sub:E:,
G: 5400HDD old win,
I: SSD 1TB New

drives-snip-enlarged.png

Last edited:

Colif

Win 11 Master
Are you dual booting? If not, go into bios and set it to UEFI in the boot mode select screen.

its possible that since you have both MBR and GPT drives in PC, everytime you restart the PC, the boot method select would swap to the other method (since default is UEFI + Legacy) -

▶Boot Mode Select [LEGACY+UEFI]
Sets the system boot mode from legacy or UEFI architecture depending on OS installation requirement. This item will become unselectable and will be configured automatically by BIOS when “Windows 8/ 8.1 Feature” is enabled.
[UEFI] Enables UEFI BIOS boot mode support only.
[LEGACY+UEFI] Enables both Legacy BIOS boot mode and UEFI BIOS boot.
it shows you on page 3-11 of your motherboard manual

win 8.1 Feature is mentioned on page 3-9
▶Windows 8/ 8.1 Feature [Disabled] Enables the supports for Windows 8 or disables for other operating systems. Before enabling this item, make sure all installed devices & utilities (hardware & software) should meet the Windows 8 requirements.
[Enabled] The system will switch to UEFI mode to meet the Windows 8 requirement.
[Disabled] Disables this function.

these features, by default, apply to win 10 as well.

That could explain the wrong partition order error. I suspect you set to uefi + Legacy which means it swapped when you restarted PC

I assume you know you can get a newer copy of the installer? On another PC, download the Windows 10 media creation tool and use it to make a win 10 installer on USB or DVD,

Colif

Win 11 Master
main reason it helps to remove drives when you install on them is so it creates a boot partition on that drive, and doesn't use one that exists elsewhere. If say you used MBR, it might choose the boot partition of one of the older drives, and if they stopped working or you removed drive for whatever reason, the nvme wouldn't be able to boot.

If PC is dual boot, you can't really do that though.

Crusin_King

Commendable
Sep 18, 2016
I thank you for all of your help.

I took the easy road out. I just seemed to forget some things when I do not use them all of the time. I just graduated this month with my CIT AS degree with Technical certificates in Digital Forensics and ITA. I am pissed at myself that I even asked this question and by the way, I just passed my 901-902 A+ cert in software & hardware. Can you believe it, (LOL) I will have to smack my teachers for me forgetting how to deal with this. LOL

Solution:
  1. unplugged all HD with operating systems on them. I left my 2 storage drives with all of my back-up files.
  2. I just made the img. from Microsoft's download page, so it is the newest software possible.
  3. It loaded the first time all the way through UEFI, no legacy.
  4. I ended up with one issue that I am not sure but I will figure out.
    1. The internet works but freezes and times-out and I know it's just this machine because the other computers all work fine
Thank you for your help, you have given me things to think about.