Question GPT support for Gigabyte GA-78LMT-USB3 Rev. 6?

H4X0R46

Honorable
Sep 25, 2016
Quick question for anyone here that may have my same motherboard. Does this board support booting from a GPT drive? I'm thinking of reinstalling Windows 10 on my PC, but figure I might as well convert my system drive to GPT if my board allows me to.

I have the manual, but it's confusing. It's a legacy BIOS but says something about "hybrid efi"? Not sure. But would rather be sure before I bother wiping the drive and reinstalling my OS. Thanks!

PS, is there any kind of speed difference in converting my drive from MBR to GPT if that IS an option for me?

Lutfij

Titan
If your installer is made using WIndows Media Creation Tools, you need not worry about the structure of the drive since Windows 10 by default will convert the drive to GPT. In fact what you should be worried about is whether or not the BIOS is UEFI or not. I've worked on it prior and the latest BIOS update does not introduce UEFI.

Regardless you're good to go with Windows 10, just be sure to back up your critical content before wiping the installation drive.

Reactions: H4X0R46

H4X0R46

Honorable
Sep 25, 2016
If your installer is made using WIndows Media Creation Tools, you need not worry about the structure of the drive since Windows 10 by default will convert the drive to GPT. In fact what you should be worried about is whether or not the BIOS is UEFI or not. I've worked on it prior and the latest BIOS update does not introduce UEFI.

Regardless you're good to go with Windows 10, just be sure to back up your critical content before wiping the installation drive.
Thanks! I'm wondering though if this board CAN support GPT disks, I'm thinking I might intentionally switch to GPT if I can. I'll probably just try it in a bit here and find out, I don't have a clue what Gigabyte means by their "Hybrid EFI". Kind of a weird thing really lol