[SOLVED] GPT Windows with MBR Hard Drive ?

Jacob 51

Notable
Dec 31, 2020
I bought a new 4 Tb hard drive and used GPT partition scheme on it because MBR doesn't support more than 2 TB.

My old HDD is formatted with MBR partition scheme. I got some highly valuable data in it. I've seen people say that windows will format MBR HDDs to GPT without asking, if MBR HDD is inserted into the system.

Can I get data out of that HDD using my PC by connecting it alongside the new boot drive?

Solution
I bought a new 4 Tb hard drive and used GPT partition scheme on it because MBR doesn't support more than 2 TB.
My old HDD is formatted with MBR partition scheme. I got some highly valuable data in it. I've seen people say that windows will format MBR HDDs to GPT without asking, if MBR HDD is inserted into the system.
Can I get data out of that HDD using my PC by connecting it alongside the new boot drive?
What model 4TB drive?
Hope it's not Seagate Barracuda Compute. Those are SMR drives - not suitable to be used as windows OS drive.

When you install widnows on the new drive, have old drive disconnected. Connect only after windows is installed.
What model 4TB drive?
Hope it's not Seagate Barracuda Compute. Those are SMR drives - not suitable to be used as windows OS drive.

When you install widnows on the new drive, have old drive disconnected. Connect only after windows is installed.

Solution

Dean0919

Honorable
Oct 25, 2017
What model 4TB drive?

What's SMR drive and why are you saying that?
I have Seagate 4TBs (but not barracuda, however my 2TB seagate HDD is barracuda) in my case.

What's SMR drive and why are you saying that?
I have Seagate 4TBs (but not barracuda, however my 2TB seagate HDD is barracuda) in my case.
What model name Seagate 4TB?
(you can see model name in HDtune)

Read here:

https://www.extremetech.com/computi...g-slow-smr-drives-without-informing-customers

TLDR
Any write to SMR drive requires overwriting of neighboring tracks also. This is being done in background.
Since windows is writing to OS drive all the time, on SMR drive this will require constant correction of neighboring tracks.
As the result - this will cause high disk activity and reduced performance.

Last edited:
Reactions: Dean0919

Dean0919

Honorable
Oct 25, 2017
What model name Seagate 4TB?
(you can see model name in HDtune)

Read here:

https://www.extremetech.com/computi...g-slow-smr-drives-without-informing-customers

TLDR
Any write to SMR drive requires overwriting of neighboring tracks also. This is being done in background.
Since windows is writing to OS drive all the time, on SMR drive this will require constant correction of neighboring tracks.
As the result - this will cause high disk activity and reduced performance.
These ones:

RdsOJcY.png

TRENDING THREADS