Question GPU 0 at -1% usage and computer stops working

Jun 23, 2020
i recently built a new computer, and it has a ton of issues. the most glaring one being that occasionally, my GPU usage will drop to -1% and my computer slowly breaks down. applications will stop working, games will stop working, almost everything stops working. this will happen while i'm gaming, while i'm watching youtube, while i'm doing literally nothing but talking to other people on discord. this happens about once or twice every week and it's starting to get annoying. i'm still able to technically use the computer, i can ctrl+alt+del and open up task manager which is how i found out my GPU was at -1% usage, but nothing on task manager gets updated, and the taskbar also stops working. this forces me to restart (forcibly, signing out/shutting down doesn't work) and during post, my vga debug LED lights up for a worryingly long time before actually booting into windows. i have the latest drivers for my GPU.

ryzen 5 3600
msi b450i gaming plus ac
16gb g.skill tridentZ ddr4-3600
RTX 2070 super
evga superNOVA p2 750w 80+ plat

View: https://imgur.com/PlTQZ0I

Was this build ever working previously with these components, or, is this a new problem after swapping a CPU/mainboard and /or GPU upgrade?

Naturally, a new build opens up the possibility of more than a few folks relying on MS's default detected/installed drivers at the time of install, vice getting all the needed AMD chipset/Ryzen drivers, etc...(or worse yet, simply rebooting with all new hardware from an earlier WIndows install with entire different hardware to avoid the 5-10 minute fresh install...

Jun 23, 2020
Was this build ever working previously with these components, or, is this a new problem after swapping a CPU/mainboard and /or GPU upgrade?

Naturally, a new build opens up the possibility of more than a few folks relying on MS's default detected/installed drivers at the time of install, vice getting all the needed AMD chipset/Ryzen drivers, etc...(or worse yet, simply rebooting with all new hardware from an earlier WIndows install with entire different hardware to avoid the 5-10 minute fresh install...
this build has been working with these components previously, the GPU has been in a different computer before but other than that, no. i have also made the effort to install all the necessary drivers i could instead of relying on MS.

TRENDING THREADS