Jul 8, 2019
I was playing fortnite. Suddenly my pc got a black screen and my audio got cut off. I restarted my pc and I had a black screen with my GPU on 100% fan speed. In the past I did have this too, but I could just restart my pc and it worked again. My temps weren't high it was 65-75°c or sometimes 81°c but that's normal for a gtx 780. I did get an error post D6 (No Console Output Devices)

Options I tried:
  • Tried another PSU from seasonic 620w and another xfx 650w still the same
  • I checked all the cables from PSU and another monitor cable
  • Cleared CMOS and tried other Ram slots
  • Tried other PCI slots
  • Tried the GPU on another PC friend of mine still the same results
  • Opened the gpu with new thermal paste
  • I let it work for an hour still the same
At this point I think my GPU is dead and it's weird that it died so fast. Normally GPU's die slow with artifacts. The GPU was working fine with no problem.

Is there other option I can try?

Specs:
MSI GTX 780
seasonic 620w
FX 8350
990FXA-GD80 motherboard

cc83

Reputable
Jun 4, 2016
I had the same problem. When screen goes black (no signal) and GPU fans go 100%, that means that your motherboard does not recognize your GPU or receives no signal, GPU fans go 100% to prevent any possible overheating. It could be related to faulty card or just drivers. In my case it happened when I tried to play Shadow of the Tomb Raider with DX 12 - it turned out it was because of my Windows 10 version. I updated Windows 10 to 1906 version and boom, the problem disappeared like that.

If you tried your GPU in another PC, I suppose it's dead. Does your BIOS allow you to see if VGA is installed?

Jul 8, 2019
I had the same problem. When screen goes black (no signal) and GPU fans go 100%, that means that your motherboard does not recognize your GPU or receives no signal, GPU fans go 100% to prevent any possible overheating. It could be related to faulty card or just drivers. In my case it happened when I tried to play Shadow of the Tomb Raider with DX 12 - it turned out it was because of my Windows 10 version. I updated Windows 10 to 1906 version and boom, the problem disappeared like that.

If you tried your GPU in another PC, I suppose it's dead. Does your BIOS allow you to see if VGA is installed?

I'll try to update windows. How can you see that your VGA is Installed in BIOS