[SOLVED] GPU 100% Usage

Jul 26, 2020
I just swapped my rx 580 for a RTX 2060 and now none of my games will open as they cause my GPU to go between 100 and 0 percent usage until i close the frozen app. Works just fine on the interent and watching videos. I also bought a new PSU to upgrade from 520 to 650 w to try and solve the problem . I was told it could be the issue but it didnt change anything

I have unistalled and reinstalled the nvidia drivers. Unistalled the raedeon drivers. Still nothing

My computer is a gigabyte b450 Ds3h
ryzen 5 3600 3.8ghz
2x8 gb 3200 ram
EVGA 650 BQ

Any help is much appreciated

Last edited:
Solution
2 possibilities I have come across many times.
1 Do a custom/clean install of drivers after cleaning with DDU. follow DDU instructions.
https://www.guru3d.com/files-details/display-driver-uninstaller-download.html
Next would be a shader cache clean up.
This PC. right click C drive.
Disk clean up.
Clean up system files.
Make sure Direct X shader cache is checked. the others are up to you. Might as well get rid of all unneeded windows update files. Can be 8 -10 gig or more.
Restart and try your games.

Turtle Rig

Prominent
BANNED
Jun 23, 2020
I just swapped my rx 580 for a GTX 2060 and now none of my games will open as they cause my GPU to go between 100 and 0 percent usage until i close the frozen app. Works just fine on the interent and watching videos. I also bought a new PSU to upgrade from 520 to 650 w to try and solve the problem . I was told it could be the issue but it didnt change anything

I have unistalled and reinstalled the nvidia drivers. Unistalled the raedeon drivers. Still nothing

My computer is a gigabyte b450 Ds3h
ryzen 5 3600 3.8ghz
2x8 gb 3200 ram
EVGA 650 BQ

Any help is much appreciated
Easy fix. Run DDU in safe mode Display Driver Uninstaller and choose ATI and do a clean and restart then run it again and choose nvidia and do a clean and restart then your back up into normal mode now install the latest GeForce Drivers and you should be good to go. This is normal as you went from ATI to nVidia and your box is tripping out.

Where did you buy a GTX2060?
So far as I know that model does not exist.

Does your problem happen on just one game?
If so, look to game patch.

When gaming, a graphics card uses more power than when doing light desktop work.
A RTX2060, (if that is what you have) will actually need less power than your previous RX580.

At this point, I suspect you have a bad graphics card.

Jul 26, 2020
Easy fix. Run DDU in safe mode Display Driver Uninstaller and choose ATI and do a clean and restart then run it again and choose nvidia and do a clean and restart then your back up into normal mode now install the latest GeForce Drivers and you should be good to go. This is normal as you went from ATI to nVidia and your box is tripping out.
I have tried this twice and the problem is still persisting

Jul 26, 2020
Where did you buy a GTX2060?
So far as I know that model does not exist.

Does your problem happen on just one game?
If so, look to game patch.

When gaming, a graphics card uses more power than when doing light desktop work.
A RTX2060, (if that is what you have) will actually need less power than your previous RX580.

At this point, I suspect you have a bad graphics card.
I bought it from Best Buy and I did mean rtx. oops

1 Do a custom/clean install of drivers after cleaning with DDU. follow DDU instructions.
Disk clean up.
Clean up system files.
Make sure Direct X shader cache is checked. the others are up to you. Might as well get rid of all unneeded windows update files. Can be 8 -10 gig or more.

Solution

Turtle Rig

Prominent
BANNED
Jun 23, 2020
Disk clean up.
Clean up system files.
Yes and if your still in a hole after that then you might possibly need to do a reset PC or a clean install :(

TRENDING THREADS