GPU (970 FTW) blew up after 3 years, What could have been the cause?

Nov 13, 2018
picture of burnt VRM https://imgur.com/a/6hnME5W

Last night I was playing Escape From Tarkov when my PC randomly shut off. Confused by this I tried turning it back on and nothing happened

Unplugged the PSU and plugged it back in and the computers fans spin for about 1 second before turning off again. Tried again to no success.

Last attempt I unplugged the Pins from the GPU but kept it plugged into the motherboard (may have been a bad idea in hindsight). I pressed the power button, the computer ran for about 5-10 seconds before a puff of smoke came from the GPU. Freaked out and immediately turned off the computer and pulled the GPU out of the Mobo (MSI gaming 7[intel]).

My Question is if my 4 year old PSU could have been part of the problem or not? It is a EVGA Super Nova 650W gold rated.

To preface this I had cleaned it just a few weeks prior to the blown GPU. And the Computer Ran fine on integrated graphics.

thanks all who may be able to help me out.

Solution
That all being said....I don't think that the low voltage fried your card.

I think these may be two totally different issues and we maybe just came across the low voltage because we were looking at it.

This low voltage won't fry your card....but it has a good potential to cause crashes.
"My Question is if my 4 year old PSU could have been part of the problem or not? "

Yes it could have been.

Although it could also have been just the card failing.

I would probably risk it and power up and see if I could get voltage readings....either from the BIOS.....from an app like HWMonitor....or using a voltmeter to confirm whether or not the PSU is showing signs of problems.

Nov 13, 2018

I went home on lunch and plugged in my 760 to the same slot to see if it would work (iGPU was already working). The 760 worked fine and ran a game of rocket league to test. here is the voltage on the mobo: https://imgur.com/a/szJEKDo
Does that look pretty normal? from what I've seen it is, but I don't know a whole lot.

Your +12 V should be 11.4 or above.

You are showing 11.176 and 11.264 max.

This is not really good.

Some PSUs allow you to adjust this voltage....some don't.

I'm not sure if yours will allow you to or not.

....but I wouldn't feel comfortable running like this.....as you are out of spec....and specs are there for a reason.

That all being said....I don't think that the low voltage fried your card.

I think these may be two totally different issues and we maybe just came across the low voltage because we were looking at it.

This low voltage won't fry your card....but it has a good potential to cause crashes.

Solution
Nov 13, 2018

Thanks! That was pretty much the answer I was looking for, I will probably end up upgrading to a 750w sometime in the future then. Appreciate all the help.

I'd RMA the PSU because you have evidence it isn't in spec. Send them that picture you posted.

Also...I just put a Corsair RM 750X in a machine and it seems like a pretty nice PSU for a decent price. It's not the best...but it's reasonable...and the RM series....from what I've read....isn't considered crap. So maybe consider that.

Nov 13, 2018
looked at a modular 750 from EVGA for 80 so we will see when that time comes.
this thread (http://www.tomshardware.com/forum/id-2563560/msi-z97-gaming-voltage-check.html) the guy has the same motherboard as me so it might just be the motherboards issue. I've never really had problems with freezing or shutdowns (except when my gpu fried obviously) before so I shall see with time.

Thanks for the help!