[SOLVED] GPU (970) overheating - Fans not spinning

Mar 16, 2021
Setup picture

Speedfan temperature burning

Hey guys.

I recently replaced my PSU and Ive run into two problems that might be GPU related.

- GPU overheating and I dont believe the fans are spinning

- (PC shutting down, second HDD wont let me start the PC)

The previous owner did some DIY fan with the clip tricks. I see that the fan is connected to another PC case fan. Both are not spinning. Since GPUs are hard to get atm, any advice?

Thanks

Last edited:
Solution
Those fans are not connected to power. That's why they are not spinning.

Either connect fans to headers on motherboard directly (without that adapter wire), if there are available free fan headers or
connect that adapter to psu power.
But be careful. You can connect fan to a fan header or to psu with adapter (but not to both simultaneously or you'll get short).

Karadjgne

Titan
Ambassador
Start from scratch. Get replacement fans (you can get on ebay etc or directly), undo all the c*** the previous owner did and return the card to factory. While waiting for the replacement fans, pull the card apart and give the heatsink a good cleaning as well as replacing the thermal paste on the die. I'd recommend Arctic MX-4 or CoolerMaster Master gel Maker.

Also check the card for a switch. Often that's an eco switch for fanless mode, I prefer mine disabled, fans always spin. If there's no switch, get a copy of the gpu vendor software as that should have a switch included.

Either connect fans to headers on motherboard directly (without that adapter wire), if there are available free fan headers or
But be careful. You can connect fan to a fan header or to psu with adapter (but not to both simultaneously or you'll get short).

Solution
Mar 16, 2021

I'm a booty face, that is correct. They are both spinning now!

Unfortunately my 2nd problem, HDD PC crash still exists. If I add the hdd to my sdd cable or to a seperate cable, it powers on and instantly powers off. Any suggestions?

The HDD should be working as it did 2 days ago. I really hope so, it holds most of my relevant data. I ordered a case to connect it to USB just in case

Are PSUs, you're exchanging, by any chance modular?
(You didn't list model names of your PSUs)

If they are modular, then be aware - you can use only native cables for each PSU. Modular cables are not interchangeable between different PSU models.
By using wrong cables you can damage/kill devices connected.