[SOLVED] GPU Advice

Aug 2, 2021
Hi, I'm looking for some advice please as to what the most appropriate GPU would be for my build please; I'm far from knowledgeable about this.
I'm not a big gamer at all but my build is for productivity, again not massive video editing or anything but multiple tabs, internet browsing, office etc kind of use. I've brought an ultrawide monitor to try to accommodate lots of tabs and 'workstreams' I believe they're called. The specs of the monitor look like they would need a pretty high-end GPU to achieve and certainly for gaming. I don't want to compromise on the quality of my build for my needs and want to future-proof my build significantly for many years to come but I thought given those needs are not very intensive could the GPU be somewhere I could save money or does the resolution (aspect ratio etc), presumably less-so the refresh rate for my needs necessitate a high end GPU. This is going to sound particularly uneducated but I'm keen to have lots of little icons, tabs, workstreams etc rather than a stretched out bigger projection (which I've had plugging in my somewhat dated laptop to the monitor so far). I've found it very hard to find this information online outside of the realms of a serious gaming set-up which clearly necessitates high-end GPU.
The monitor is an eiQ-49CV5UWD120FSHQA, so 49 inch 5120x1440, 32:9, 120Hz.
Let me know if there's any more information I need to provide, I have almost all the other components.
Thanks very much for any information, I'm very appreciative of your collective knowledge where mine is clearly lacking

Solution
You say that refresh rate is less important than high resolution, then the GT 1030 will support higher resolutions than what that monitor can offer, however it may be limited in refresh rate capabilities to 60Hz at that resolution. You will need a DisplayPort to utilize 120Hz. The GTX 1050 Ti comes with a DisplayPort and supports higher resolutions than your monitor.
You say that refresh rate is less important than high resolution, then the GT 1030 will support higher resolutions than what that monitor can offer, however it may be limited in refresh rate capabilities to 60Hz at that resolution. You will need a DisplayPort to utilize 120Hz. The GTX 1050 Ti comes with a DisplayPort and supports higher resolutions than your monitor.

Reactions: DanJackman
Solution
Aug 11, 2021
The GPU plays a role, but you do not game so you should be focused more on CPU and not GPU. You need a multi-thread CPU, Hyper-threading or something that has many cores and pair it with a modest GPU like a 1050TI or higher. Right now Ryzen CPU's offer more cores at lower temps and prices.. On GPU I'd go with a GTX 1660 Super to give at least 6gb ram for that odd time you would like to explore gaming. Hope that helps. Go with the Ryzen 7 3700X and you'll be fine for years to come. Once the OVERPRICED GPU's goes down, grab a Nvidia RTX 3070ti and you're all set.

Last edited: