Question GPU AIO Cooling issue

Oct 2, 2019
I bought a NZXT Kraken G12 and Corsair AIO. After installing it on my 2080 my temps seem to be the same as the factory temps. The water pump is at 1,400rpm and I used Arctic MX-4 thermal paste. Could there be something wrong on my install? I watched other videos where they used the same AIO and graphics card and there temps are lower. I do have the radiator set up with an exhaust fan.

Karadjgne

Titan
Ambassador
1400rpm seems a little low for a Corsair 120mm like the h55. They usually run around 2000rpm.

Youll have to look to see where the pump 3pin is installed. It's probably either cpu_aux or a sys_fan header. And that can be an issue only because that header is not tied to the gpu. So when the gpu heats up, the motherboard isn't, so fan speeds aren't changing much at all, and temps go up.

Also verify that in bios, that particular header has qfan or other controls disabled, and header duty cycle is permanently set to 100%.

If your bios allows, the header for the rad fan should be set for gpu temp, not auto or system or cpu etc. If you can't, you'll need to use SpeedFan, in which it does allow specific headers to be retasked for a different address, you'd retask the header for gpu. And that's after watching several tutorials about how to figure that program out and set fan curves.

Many install videos will only show you how to install things, they'll not actually show you anything on how to set it up and use it, if it's different from theirs. Otherwise those videos could stretch hours long.

Last edited:
Oct 2, 2019
1400rpm seems a little low for a Corsair 120mm like the h55. They usually run around 2000rpm.

Youll have to look to see where the pump 3pin is installed. It's probably either cpu_aux or a sys_fan header. And that can be an issue only because that header is not tied to the gpu. So when the gpu heats up, the motherboard isn't, so fan speeds aren't changing much at all, and temps go up.

Also verify that in bios, that particular header has qfan or other controls disabled, and header duty cycle is permanently set to 100%.

If your bios allows, the header for the rad fan should be set for gpu temp, not auto or system or cpu etc. If you can't, you'll need to use SpeedFan, in which it does allow specific headers to be retasked for a different address, you'd retask the header for gpu. And that's after watching several tutorials about how to figure that program out and set fan curves.

Many install videos will only show you how to install things, they'll not actually show you anything on how to set it up and use it, if it's different from theirs. Otherwise those videos could stretch hours long.
Thanks for the info. I’ll definitely look into that. Could I connect the pump to the gpu it’s self or would it be better to use the motherboard?

Karadjgne

Titan
Ambassador
The gpu uses a 2 wire (any I've seen do) , with a different connector. It also has its own built in fan curve and is expecting to see high rpm small fans. There are adapters you can use to make the connection (kinda surprised nzxt didn't include on with the G-12). If it's set like bios is and uses duty cycle based, you'd be all good, the fan would operate on a % of max speed, not a set rpm. So that would definitely work to your advantage, the gpu controlling the gpu fan as needed

Reactions: Dawgs2124
Oct 2, 2019
The gpu uses a 2 wire (any I've seen do) , with a different connector. It also has its own built in fan curve and is expecting to see high rpm small fans. There are adapters you can use to make the connection (kinda surprised nzxt didn't include on with the G-12). If it's set like bios is and uses duty cycle based, you'd be all good, the fan would operate on a % of max speed, not a set rpm. So that would definitely work to your advantage, the gpu controlling the gpu fan as needed
Okay. I have the adapter for it. Thanks for the help!

If the mobo header you had it connected to has dc/pwm settings check to see what it was set to.
Would think it should be on dc or full voltage for that header.
Only next best thing more air through the radiator which will be more noise also.

I use Noctua ippc 3000 rpm 110cfm fans on my corsair units. They are pricey for fans but they definitely move air.
The only problem would be how much noise you are willing to put up with.
At 1500 rpm they would be putting out about as much air as the stock fans at 1700rpm.
But you would have plenty of fan left in reserve.