Question GPU and CPU dropping % while ingame

Apr 26, 2019
I've seen multiple threads about people having the same problem, but none of the solutions seem to work for me.

The main problem i am having is when playing Forza Horizon 4.
I've been playing the game for 2 weeks now and for the 1st week there wasn't any issues whatsoever, but now, the 2nd week i am having huge performance problems.
I've been using some programs to figure out whats cousing this and its either GPU or CPU. They both always drop at the same time when the game spikes for a few seconds.
The game runs smoothly for like a minute (with GPU at 80 - 95%, CPU at 70 - 90%, RAM 50 - 60%) and then randomly FPS drops for a few seconds (at that time GPU drops down to 0 - 20% followed by CPU).

I don't have any problems with other games such as "FIFA 19", "CS GO", "LEAGUE OF LEGENDS", although the GPU and CPU usage in those games is around 60% - 70% or below.
I've tried multiple benchmarks and tests for temperature, etc. and i can't seem to find the problem.
I have drivers / windows updated. I've also tried CC cleaner to run for registry problems and basic computer clean-up. I have basic software installed, no nonsense that could be causing problems.
I will add the screenshoots below so you can see for yourself.

Computer specs:
GRAPHICS CARD: Nvidia Geforce 970
CPU: AMD FX(tm) - 8320 Eight-Core PRocessor, 3492 MHz
MOTHERBOARD: ASRock 970 Pro3 R2.0
RAM: 16GB
WINDOWS DISK: Samsung SSD 850 EVO 120GB
GAME DISK: CT 500MX 500 SSD 1 (Not sure what brand)

GPU PICTURE: View: https://imgur.com/hcyrPwC

CPU PRICTURE: View: https://imgur.com/Bi4R2mY

The pictures are both unfortunately in my native language, so let me know if you need a translation for something.
Let me know if im missing anything and what can i do to fix the issue.
Thanks.

Is there a way to check that without putting it apart ?
I believe it is either 500 or 600W. I've had no power issues for 3+ years tho.

There has to be some make/brand, and Model Number of your current PSU. Try opening your ATX cabinet, and grab a pic of the PSU's LABEL, and post it here, if possible. Or, look for the PSU's box/package...

On what SCREEN RES are you actually playing games ? 1080p, or 2K ?

Apr 26, 2019
There has to be some make/brand, and Model Number of your current PSU. Try opening your ATX cabinet, and grab a pic of the PSU's LABEL, and post it here, if possible. Or, look for the PSU's box/package...

ill check for PSU in the morning, i am playing on 1920 x 1080p.

Apr 26, 2019
I think you cannot avoid those drops because GTX 970 lacks full software support for that 2018 game.

Well i guess you could be right, but what i dont understand is, if my graphics card doesn't entirely support the game then why did it work perfectly for a week and started "lagging" just now, a week later :( ?

Apr 26, 2019

PSU is 550W TS XFX, 80 Plus Bronze

Apr 26, 2019
Did you install any update recently?

That's the thing, im not sure, i know i've downloaded latest nvidia drivers and windows update, but i just cant remeber if that was after it started happening or before.
But is it really possible that updates could affect gameplay ? shouldn't then be a lot of people having the same problem ?

Apr 26, 2019
seems like a software issue. Reinstalling OS is probably the fastest way to fix it and it will probably work.

I've done that like a month ago to just basically clean my computer up and start off fresh again.
Im really not up to reinstalling everything back again so soon, but if you are sure that could be the solution i might ?

ishaankaushik

Honorable
BANNED
Sep 7, 2017
That's the thing, im not sure, i know i've downloaded latest nvidia drivers and windows update, but i just cant remeber if that was after it started happening or before.
But is it really possible that updates could affect gameplay ? shouldn't then be a lot of people having the same problem ?
Probably those people play different games. However you can try rolling back to last Nvidia WHQL or DCH drivers as Nvidia calls it. I think you should upgrade to 1660 or 1650 if budget is tight. GTX 970 is really old. Also Nvidia has tendency to force people to upgrade GPUs so they are ruining performance.

Apr 26, 2019
Probably those people play different games. However you can try rolling back to last Nvidia WHQL or DCH drivers as Nvidia calls it. I think you should upgrade to 1660 or 1650 if budget is tight. GTX 970 is really old. Also Nvidia has tendency to force people to upgrade GPUs so they are ruining performance.

Hmm ill try rolling back.
For the upgrades, i think im just gonna replace all the parts in a year or less, tbh everything i have is outdated so no point in only replacing the graphics. It's been like 4 years or more since i've built my setup so i guess it's time to replace.

TRENDING THREADS