Question GPU and CPU low usage.

CaptainUselessMan

Reputable
Feb 3, 2020
Hi.Since i got this new pc i am having a weird problem about gpu and cpu % usage.My specs are a GTX 1650 , i5 3470 and 16 GB of ram ddr3 dual channel.Now , i know there is a little bit of bottleneck but the thing is i only get a bottleneck in very demanding games like cyberpunk 2077 or rdr2 , but the majority of games are fine , when the gpu is at 90-100% usage the cpu is like around 40-60% or even lower depends of the game.Now my problem is , in some games both my GPU and CPU are staying at a low usage.For example i tried postal 2 which is a old game and it can easily run , right ? Not really , my gpu and cpu is staying at 10-20 % usage and i have around 80 fps but when there's fire and effects and stuff is dropping to 45-50 fps.I really don't understand why they refuse to work to give me the fps i need and instead just chilling at a low percentage.And even in others , where my cpu is at 50-60% my gpu is sitting at 70% or something ...I belive that is not a bottleneck beacause it would be a bottleneck if the cpu was sitting at 100% usage all the time so it would limit my gpu , but if my cpu is at a lower percentage why can't my gpu work ? I really don't understand.I have the latest drivers , everything looks just fine but it's not.So yeah , if someone can help me i really appreciate it.

CaptainUselessMan

Reputable
Feb 3, 2020
I also have to say that no , im not locking my fps at specific number.I know that if you use vsync or other option to lock your fps , your gpu and cpu doesn't need to work more than the number you choose.Also both my GPU and CPU are sitting at good temps.CPU at 50-55 C and GPU 50-65 C while gaming of course , in idle both of them are like 20-30 C

Last edited:
Depends whether it's a more CPU or GPU demanding game, but most lean toward GPU use primarily, so it's fairly normal for the GPU usage to be high in a lot of games, while the CPU is at 40-60% or lower. That is not a bottleneck you're describing, just staggered allocation of processor use according to what it needs and doesn't need.

Troubleshooting for a bottleneck isn't really necessary unless you are experiencing a lot of stuttering, hitching, brief pauses, or prolonged freezes. These can be indicators the GPU is waiting to be sent rendering data, or that the GPU is below min requirements, or can't handle the settings used.

In summary, don't cling just to bench numbers, go by how the game actually performs.

CaptainUselessMan

Reputable
Feb 3, 2020
Depends whether it's a more CPU or GPU demanding game, but most lean toward GPU use primarily, so it's fairly normal for the GPU usage to be high in a lot of games, while the CPU is at 40-60% or lower. That is not a bottleneck you're describing, just staggered allocation of processor use according to what it needs and doesn't need.

Troubleshooting for a bottleneck isn't really necessary unless you are experiencing a lot of stuttering, hitching, brief pauses, or prolonged freezes. These can be indicators the GPU is waiting to be sent rendering data, or that the GPU is below min requirements, or can't handle the settings used.

In summary, don't cling just to bench numbers, go by how the game actually performs.
Hi.Thanks for your reply , but i think there is a misunderstanding .I know that when the GPU is at 90-100% and the CPU at 40-60% is not a bottleneck , that's the thing when it's like this it's all fine everything works perfectly.But my problem is when my CPU is at 40-50 % or something but my GPU is at 60 % or lower usage aswell , both CPU and GPU are at a lower usage at the same time but im getting lower FPS than i should've.I'ts just like sometimes my GPU refuses to work and instead of getting the FPS my GPU and CPU can , it gives me only half or lower. For exemple in The Witcher 3 everything works perfect , GPU at 99% CPU around 60% , the game works like water on 1080P High settings with 70-80 fps very smooth.But in other games that are even more easly to run my GPU and CPU are standing at lower % usage and the game is a mess with low FPS or atleast 60 FPS but it feels like 30 also with stutters and frame drops.So yeah , my problem is that in some game everything is perfect but in others both my GPU and CPU refuses to work and give me the performance they can actually give.

Last edited:

TRENDING THREADS