[SOLVED] Gpu and cpu not being fully utilized

May 10, 2021
My PC
500W PSU

Asrock Z97 Extreme4
I7 4790k
RX 590
8gb ram

Recent when i play game like valorant or apex, my game fps keep dropping and when i check the cpu and gpu utilization. it hover around 40% to 60%, the higher the percent, the game run better.

But i still dont know why this happened, i guess that i need a more powerful PSU

Solution
My PC
500W PSU

Asrock Z97 Extreme4
I7 4790k
RX 590
8gb ram

Recent when i play game like valorant or apex, my game fps keep dropping and when i check the cpu and gpu utilization. it hover around 40% to 60%, the higher the percent, the game run better.

But i still dont know why this happened, i guess that i need a more powerful PSU
Total power use during heavy gaming for your system is going to max out around 350 watts. Your PSU should be ok for that, but, it depends on the brand, model and age of the PSU, which you didn't list. I'd suspect your RX 590 is getting hot and throttling back. That GPU runs hot to begin with and your case and fan setup will need to support really good airflow to help keep it cool.
My PC
500W PSU

Asrock Z97 Extreme4
I7 4790k
RX 590
8gb ram

Total power use during heavy gaming for your system is going to max out around 350 watts. Your PSU should be ok for that, but, it depends on the brand, model and age of the PSU, which you didn't list. I'd suspect your RX 590 is getting hot and throttling back. That GPU runs hot to begin with and your case and fan setup will need to support really good airflow to help keep it cool.

Solution
May 10, 2021
My PSU brand is aero cool , model VX PLUS 500
Because the utilization of gpu always stay around 60%, it temperature stay around 65C

My PSU brand is aero cool , model VX PLUS 500
Because the utilization of gpu always stay around 60%, it temperature stay around 65C
The Aerocool VX model is a very low quality power supply and not suitable for use with a discreet graphics card, especially a power hungry RX 590. While it may or may not be causing the problem you're having, I'd replace it with a much higher quality model at 550-650 watts. Check your CPU temperature to see if high temps are causing the problem. If the CPU gets too hot and throttles back it will reduce the load on the GPU so it's % may also drop. Your PSU should be replaced regardless since it's very poor quality.

May 10, 2021
I borrowed my friend a PSU acbel ipower 80plus 750W, and the problem still occur.
I run my i7 4790k a t 4.4GHz when i stress test it, it stay around 70-75 but do not thermal throttle.
My rx 590 does stay around 60-65C but it keep going from 0 to 60 forth and back utilization when i run a game
I dont know what is causing this

Karadjgne

Titan
Ambassador
Windows just had a couple of updates KB 5000842 and KB 5001330 that are both known to lower fps in games for some ppl. There is a Known Issue fix from Microsoft.

Specifically, Valorant has also had issues with Asus motherboards running Asus Suite software that has had major impacts on fps.

I'd not assume needing a more powerful psu will fix an issue when you are not even using close to the psu's maximum capacity. That's like saying you only ate 2 slices of pizza when normally you can eat 4 slices of pizza, so obviously you need to order a larger pizza in future...

If you are only using 300w out of a 500w psu, how is buying a 700w psu going to fix anything?

Utilization is Not how much of the cpu/gpu is USED, but how much resources it USES, very big difference. A game like CSGO only uses 2 threads, but can use 100% of those threads, regardless of whether it's a 4 core cpu or a 10 core cpu. You will not get the game to use all the cpu threads. Cpus and gpus always run at 100% ability, but only use as many resources like threads and bandwidth etc as needed. Just like a psu will only supply as much power as required, whether that's 20w or 300w, regardless of whether its a 400w or 500w or 750w psu.

Tap a nail into drywall. You will use every single muscle in you hands to hold the hammer, every muscle in your wrist to aim the hammer, every single muscle in your arm to swing the hammer, but you will not use 100% of the strength of all those muscles to do so. 100% use of muscles, 10% utilization of the muscle available.

Last edited:
Reactions: alexbirdie