[SOLVED] GPU and CPU Temps!

Tinibigz_1992

Distinguished
Dec 13, 2012
Hello,

I just built a new PC and did some tests, FPS in the games I play are great, even to high at times. 400 plus at times.

Since it's a new build I have the side panel open and the GPU does get warm and hot at times, this makes sense but if I can limit my FPS then does the card not work as hard?

I just rather have good longevity in my components and if I can work them less then needed would be wonderful.

I just need to know if I can do anything to limit the card or CPU? I have the 2070 RTX and I7-9700k.

I do a have 1ms response monitor and it can do 240ghz. It's the G-Sync Alienware monitor.

Thank you for the help.

Last edited:
Solution
That article is amazing, I have read some of it but need to keep going.

One more questions since you seem to answer lots of questions and you clearly get this. I am just wondering if disabling my integrated graphics on the 9700k would help?

Thank you as well
help with temperatures? It can, as ultimately it's preventing more CPU power being required, but if the integrated aren't used at all, it's not necessarily always the case. If you're only using the dedicated, it will be negligible.

Overall though, honestly if your GPU temps are below 80 degrees, theres nothing to worry about.
Put it this way, there's no real evidence or signifcant signs that having a CPU or GPU at 40 degrees instead of 70 degrees will make any...

PC Tailor

Illustrious
Ambassador
What are the exact temperatures of your CPU and GPU are you reaching?

Remember that components are made to endure high temperatures, so if you're below certain boundaries, there isn't really any significant difference in their lifespan.

Tinibigz_1992

Distinguished
Dec 13, 2012
My CPU temp is around 35 C and it's great but it's strange that the temp is so low on the CPU and I am getting 400 plus frames in certain titles(Fortnite for this test) but even a game like WOW that uses more CPU then GPU never pushes that temp more then 2 degrees C.

I only used the 212 coolerMaster Evo (Arctic 2019 edition paste) for the CPU, the 2070 is a MSI RTX 2070 Gaming. (I just looked online and the price went up so happy I bought it for 420 price tag.

I have not checked the temp of the card I just put my hand around the card and sense the heat it's outputting. I apologize for my lack of info here but all this is fairly new to me. I installed MSI afterburner and the extension it comes with but the display is so hard to read in my opinion it's gray and the numbers don't really move or anything, I think I have this set up incorrectly. (This is my mistake)

I am also sorry I don't know the GPU temp, how would I find the most accurate temp?

I don't want to do 60 FPS, I want to stay around 144 FPS not 400 FPS. 400 can't even been seen so why work the card to that extent. WOW I can get 300-400 FPS but I limited to 150 in the settings but is this the most effective way to do it?

Thank you

Last edited:

PC Tailor

Illustrious
Ambassador
I have not checked the temp of the card I just put my hand around the card and sense the heat it's outputting
That is perfectly normal, trust the sensors, not the hands! We always think things feel hotter than they should be. But in reality, it rarely is. You can use HWInfo to monitor CPU and GPU temps, remember this should be under load, not idle or in the BIOS.

Also for your CPU, as long as you keep below 85 degrees (ideally 80 degrees) you're fine. 89 degrees for the GPU.

Tinibigz_1992

Distinguished
Dec 13, 2012
That is perfectly normal, trust the sensors, not the hands! We always think things feel hotter than they should be. But in reality, it rarely is. You can use HWInfo to monitor CPU and GPU temps, remember this should be under load, not idle or in the BIOS.

Also for your CPU, as long as you keep below 85 degrees (ideally 80 degrees) you're fine. 89 degrees for the GPU.
Hello,

Thank you for that info, I check the temps of the CPU while I was playing and using many tabs and it was under load to some extent but full load is hard for me to claim.

I just don't get why the CPU temp does not really go up. Going up 2 C is normal?

Thank you

PC Tailor

Illustrious
Ambassador
Hello,

Thank you for that info, I check the temps of the CPU while I was playing and using many tabs and it was under load to some extent but full load is hard for me to claim.

I just don't get why the CPU temp does not really go up. Going up 2 C is normal?

Thank you
It certainly can be if your cooling is effective.
Easy real stress test would be to use Prime95 (which basically simulates the most load your CPU can reach), but again, isn't representative of normal use.

Overall, as stated previously, if you stay below 80 degrees on an Intel CPU, nothing to worry about really.

Computronix did an excellent guide here:
https://forums.tomshardware.com/threads/intel-temperature-guide.1488337/

Reactions: Tinibigz_1992

Tinibigz_1992

Distinguished
Dec 13, 2012
It certainly can be if your cooling is effective.
Easy real stress test would be to use Prime95 (which basically simulates the most load your CPU can reach), but again, isn't representative of normal use.

Overall, as stated previously, if you stay below 80 degrees on an Intel CPU, nothing to worry about really.

Computronix did an excellent guide here:
https://forums.tomshardware.com/threads/intel-temperature-guide.1488337/

One more questions since you seem to answer lots of questions and you clearly get this. I am just wondering if disabling my integrated graphics on the 9700k would help?

Thank you as well

Reactions: PC Tailor

PC Tailor

Illustrious
Ambassador

Thank you as well
help with temperatures? It can, as ultimately it's preventing more CPU power being required, but if the integrated aren't used at all, it's not necessarily always the case. If you're only using the dedicated, it will be negligible.

Overall though, honestly if your GPU temps are below 80 degrees, theres nothing to worry about.
Put it this way, there's no real evidence or signifcant signs that having a CPU or GPU at 40 degrees instead of 70 degrees will make any significant impact on life span - they are made to endure those heats.

If however you're pushing 80+, then maybe a different story.

Solution

Tinibigz_1992

Distinguished
Dec 13, 2012
Hello,

You get my questions so well, I get what your saying totally. I will keep an eye on the temps and report back if anything is incorrectly working.

Often people aren't grateful and I am truly grateful for your responses and help.

Thank you once again for all your time and effort.

Reactions: PC Tailor