Discussion GPU and CPU usage drops while gaming

Aug 22, 2024
Hello,

I have made my new pc and started gaming at first the system was perfect but now after about 2 weeks usage my pc is starting to lag while gaming, the fps drops for certain games like Elden Ring and GTAV, as of now I have been playing these games more recently. the fps drops to 0-1fps and the screen freezes ever so often sometimes constant.

When looking into task manager I can see that my gpu usage drops from 60-80% to 3-10%, as if the pc is on idle screen. the cpu also drops usage but by like 5% I have updated all drivers and softwares, as well as bios. unplugged re plugged in gpu, made sure the gpu is mounted and all cable are connected properly. I have also reinstalled windows and reinstalled all drivers. The weird part is while doing stress tests there were no issue, I also did benchmarks on 3dmark as well as GTA's benchmarks still no issue or throttles. So I am out of ideas.

The issue did occur after installing a cpu contact, but I added a sufficent amount of thermal paste and the thermals for the cpu and gpu are fine. I also downclocked my cpu and gpu to its normal state and this still occurs.

Processor: Intel(R) Core(TM) i7-14700K 3.40 GHz (OverClocked w/ MSI bios)

CPU Cooler: NZXT Kraken Elite

RAM: Corsair Vengeance LPX Black 64GB (2x32GB) 3600MHz DDR4 (OC to 3800mhz)

Motherboard: MSI PRO B760-P DDR4 II

GPU: GIGABYTE - RTX 4090 24 GB GAMING OC Edition

PSU: BE QUIET! Pure Power 12 M 1000w

Monitor 1: Gigabyte M27Q X 27 Inch SS IPS QHD (2560 x 1440) 240Hz

Monitor 2: LG UltraGear 24GL600F 24" Full HD 144Hz

Windows 11 Pro

Version 23H2

(the video looks weird coz I had hdr on but i have turned that off, this also occured regardless with hdr on or off)

Last edited: