[SOLVED] Gpu and psu bad?

tmshaft

Prominent
Dec 3, 2017
Hello guys I just built my son a pc it was working fine for a couple weeks then all of a sudden it shut down, when I went to restart it it just flashed and would not come on . So I started to disconnect things to try to find the problem , when I disconnected the gpu from the psu it booted up just fine so I figured it had to be either the psu or gpu. I took my psu out of my own computer to put in his to try and same thing . So I figured it was his gpu a 1070ti I got him a new gpu for Christmas anyway so I waited till he opened it up for Christmas plugged I. The new 2080 gpu and same thing happened. Next step I put his new gpu 2080 into my pc and same thing with both psus I tried. Next I went and bought a new psu the same one in his pc a 750w corsair and his booted right up and powered his 2080 , question I have is now I have two bad psus and possibly a bad gpu , what CV would have caused two psu to go bad

Specs ryzen 1700x not overclocked
Msi gaming pro carbon z370
16gb ram 3200
Msi 2080
Corsair 750x psu

Solution
I don't know if you want to go this far....but here's a way to tell without risking another PSU.

Install it in a system with one of the PSUs that it doesn't work with.

Power it up and measure the PSU voltages with a volt meter.

If they are in spec....it's the card. If not....it's the PSU.
That's kind of what I figured.
...and I think 750 should be plenty.
So that's kind of a tough question.
Good quality PSUs aren't that easy to damage.
They are generally short circuit and over voltage protected.
...and really the only thing I can imagine you doing to it is shorting it....and usually when you short a supply and it fails....you get NOTHING....so I don't think that's what happened to you.

It may just be bad luck and you had a couple components fail (or on the way out).

I don't know if you want to go this far....but here's a way to tell without risking another PSU.

Install it in a system with one of the PSUs that it doesn't work with.

Power it up and measure the PSU voltages with a volt meter.

If they are in spec....it's the card. If not....it's the PSU.

Solution