Question GPU and PSU compatibility worry

Status
Not open for further replies.

DSzymborski

Curmudgeon Pursuivant
I'd be planning to replace it at some point when you get the chance, but I don't think it's actually dangerous to use this. I think that's on the old Golden Green platform, which was before Leadex, but perfectly fine. I might feel differently if this were a 300W card, but the 1660 I like a 120W part.

Qstep

Commendable
Feb 23, 2019
How old is it? If you are talking like 7 years plus then it might be time to replace it. IIRC it is not as well built as other higher end PSUs, so it's about time to replace. Less than 7 years old? You're good to go.

It's 8 years old, it has been sitting in room temp closet after being used for the first couple years. Is it possible that these start a fire? I don't mind it just breaking down.

DSzymborski

Curmudgeon Pursuivant
It's 8 years old, it has been sitting in room temp closet after being used for the first couple years. Is it possible that these start a fire? I don't mind it just breaking down.

If it's been unused, then I would definitely avoid using it then. I was on the fence when I thought it was currently in the service, but if the capacitors have been sitting around unused for five or six years, then that's enough to put me in the "do not use" column.

Karadjgne

Titan
Ambassador
Caps degrade with use more than time, unless submitted to extremes, they'll last for years on a shelf.

That is a Golden Green platform, basically equitable to Seasonic S12-II back in the day, so was really decent for its time. Today, vs the DC/DC designs, it's out dated, but that doesn't make it any less decent, just not as good.

Seriously doubt it will 'blow up', more likely it'll just quit when it's done. It might be old, but service time is different from physical age. I'd be more worried about the smaller electrolytic chemical capacitors leaking than the large film caps blowing.

Qstep

Commendable
Feb 23, 2019
Seriously doubt it will 'blow up', more likely it'll just quit when it's done. It might be old, but service time is different from physical age. I'd be more worried about the smaller electrolytic chemical capacitors leaking than the large film caps blowing.

My worry is that there is even tiny chance that it might start a fire as it will be running without anyone monitoring it near by.

Wolfshadw

Titan
My worry is that there is even tiny chance that it might start a fire as it will be running without anyone monitoring it near by.
Even a brand new, quality unit has the tiniest chance to start a fire. If you're that concerned about it, make sure it's turned off and unplugged each time you step away. If you're not willing to do that, then take the recommendations of the others and don't risk it with your old PSU.

-Wolf sends

Wolfshadw

Titan
Alright thanks guys i'll buy a new one then definitely! What about motherboard? I assume CPUs can't start fires but the motherboard is pretty old too.
https://www.asrock.com/mb/Intel/Z68 Pro3/index.asp
If electricity flows through it, then yes. It can start a fire. You're worrying too much about this. I've been leaving my PC on 24/7/365 for the past 13 years without issue; even my old socket 1156 I5-760 (which I just gave to my mother).

-Wolf sends

Qstep

Commendable
Feb 23, 2019
If electricity flows through it, then yes. It can start a fire. You're worrying too much about this. I've been leaving my PC on 24/7/365 for the past 13 years without issue; even my old socket 1156 I5-760 (which I just gave to my mother).

-Wolf sends

Yeah you are right i worry too much it's just the pc won't be at my place so if anything happens because i wanted to save few bucks i would feel terrible. I'll just buy new parts, thanks for all the help you can close this or something! :)

Status
Not open for further replies.