[SOLVED] gpu and ssd are underperforming (under 6th percentile)

elmotaipale160

Commendable
Nov 3, 2018
UserBenchmarks: Game 91%, Desk 64%, Work 59%
CPU: AMD Ryzen 5 2600 - 76.4%
GPU: Nvidia RTX 2070 - 104.4%
SSD: Kingston A400 480GB - 34.3%
HDD: Samsung SP1614C 160GB - 26.1%
HDD: Hitachi HTS545050B9A300 500GB - 41.2%
RAM: Crucial BLS8G4D30CESTK.8FD 2x8GB - 112.8%
MBD: Gigabyte GA-B450 AORUS ELITE

Well my ssd has 251 GB of free space and it is still running terribly. I have the latest drivers installed, the drive is connected to a sata 3.0 port by a 6gb/s cable. And my graphics card is also running terribly with really low usage for Gta and roblox (lol) but for some other titles including Userbenchmark it goes up to 80-100% usage still with terrible results. I've checked the thermals and under heavy load it won't get above 70 degrees. I have also tried to oc the gpu but it gives the same or WORSE performance. Could it be that the gpu is being bottlenecked by my cpu? (note) i've reinstalled the drivers many times without effects. Please help me to fix this issue :)

Solution
it very well could be a CPU bottleneck, if your OC'ing your 2070 and the score isnt showing any improvements then the CPU is holding you back.

Have you tried to OC your cpu at all? i would bench the GPU at stock to get a base number and then do a small OC on the CPU and see if you get a better score. If it does then you know the CPU is holding you back.

fry178

Reputable
Dec 14, 2015
crank up ingame/Nv panel settings, this will shift load to the gpu (not that the cpu is an issue outside high fps gaming).
did you clean the system before installing the drivers (new/same)?
leftovers can easily affect performance.

uninstall all Nv software/driver, everything.
reboot into safe mode and use the DDU uninstaller (check settings and mark all boxes for NV etc),
use the clean/shutdown option.
boot it back up, and install the latest Nv driver 431.68 IN CUSTOM mode,
select the box for clean install and only select to install the driver/physic,
not the geforce experience or HD audio, reboot.
change power from optimal to adaptive (main profile) and run a synthetic benchmark like 3Dmark firestrike/time spy, and compare the numbers with results on review sites.

DDU

elmotaipale160

Commendable
Nov 3, 2018
crank up ingame/Nv panel settings, this will shift load to the gpu (not that the cpu is an issue outside high fps gaming).
did you clean the system before installing the drivers (new/same)?
leftovers can easily affect performance.

uninstall all Nv software/driver, everything.
reboot into safe mode and use the DDU uninstaller (check settings and mark all boxes for NV etc),
use the clean/shutdown option.
boot it back up, and install the latest Nv driver 431.68 IN CUSTOM mode,
select the box for clean install and only select to install the driver/physic,
not the geforce experience or HD audio, reboot.
change power from optimal to adaptive (main profile) and run a synthetic benchmark like 3Dmark firestrike/time spy, and compare the numbers with results on review sites.

DDU

Well now i have used ddu and clean installed on geforce experience and the performance is still shit :(

https://www.userbenchmark.com/UserRun/19134569

it very well could be a CPU bottleneck, if your OC'ing your 2070 and the score isnt showing any improvements then the CPU is holding you back.

Have you tried to OC your cpu at all? i would bench the GPU at stock to get a base number and then do a small OC on the CPU and see if you get a better score. If it does then you know the CPU is holding you back.

Solution
For the GPU, run Roblox in Windowed mode and run GPU-Z or something similar on the side. See if it's actually using your GPU (clock speed at gaming mode, temps and utilization up).

For the SSD, it's a cheap unit with average performance (for an SSD). I think Kingston's are fine for an average system (and still worlds better than hard drives), but if you want a benchmark to give you better number, you are doing to have to pay up for a Samsung.

elmotaipale160

Commendable
Nov 3, 2018

For the GPU, run Roblox in Windowed mode and run GPU-Z or something similar on the side. See if it's actually using your GPU (clock speed at gaming mode, temps and utilization up).

For the SSD, it's a cheap unit with average performance (for an SSD). I think Kingston's are fine for an average system (and still worlds better than hard drives), but if you want a benchmark to give you better number, you are doing to have to pay up for a Samsung.

Well I found a graphic intensive game (https://www.roblox.com/games/1625252284/Shiguto-Offices#!/game-instances )and here are my results: View: https://imgur.com/j0yhprI

30% of usage ram, gpu and cpu

elmotaipale160

Commendable
Nov 3, 2018

I am planning to overclock my cpu, unfortunatley i have the wraith stealth to cool the cpu. Overclocking with that gets real toasty!

fry178

Reputable
Dec 14, 2015
an ssd will not improve fps, load times yes, but that money is better invested in a good cpu cooler.
at 1080p and above, you shouldnt really have a cpu prob.
crank up in game settings towards quality, or use dsr, and render at a higher res,
e.g. 1440p or 2160p which should be a prob with your card.
if that doesnt do anything, i recommend clean install, than you know if its that, or HW.

elmotaipale160

Commendable
Nov 3, 2018
an ssd will not improve fps, load times yes, but that money is better invested in a good cpu cooler.
at 1080p and above, you shouldnt really have a cpu prob.
crank up in game settings towards quality, or use dsr, and render at a higher res,
e.g. 1440p or 2160p which should be a prob with your card.
if that doesnt do anything, i recommend clean install, than you know if its that, or HW.
Do you suggest overclocking the cpu? I have a 144hz 1440p 16:9 monitor

fry178

Reputable
Dec 14, 2015
at 1440p usually load shifts to gpu, but going past 75-90hz will still need a powerful cpu.

you could drop fps a bit, but seeing that you have a decent setup, i expect it to be os/driver related, so depending how much stuff you have to backup etc, i would start with that.
if theres still a problem after that you k ow its HW related.