Question Gpu and tv problem

mjch7

Commendable
Jan 17, 2020
I have a bit of an issue with my gpu and a tv. So my gpu is a Radeon hd 4850 with a dvi-I output. It works well with my monitor but I tried plugging it to my tv through a vga cable and a dvi to vga adaptator. The pc works but the gpu fans spin and I get a no signal from pc.

I tried plugging the tv to the moba and it works so not a cable or tv issue. But when plugged to the gpu the fans spin as if there was not enough power to supply the gpu ( it does the same sound as when I unplug the gpu supply and keep it plugged to the moba).

so to summarize:

gpu plugged to monitor through dvi on both sides: works

gpu plugged to tv through vga cable and dvi adaptator for the gpu: sounds as if the gpu is not supplied enough

moba with integrated graphics plugged to tv and gpu removed : works

moba plugged to tv with gpu plugged in but not connected to anything but the moba and psu: doesn’t work, sounds as if gpu not supplied

i have no idea what to do to solve this. Why would a monitor and the gpu work but no the tv? Why does it sound like its not supplied when there’s enough power for it?

Lutfij

Titan
Please list the specs to your build like so:
CPU:
Motherboard:
Ram:
SSD/HDD:
GPU:
PSU:
Chassis:
Monitor(s):

In your case, please parse a link to the GPU you're working with and the panels you have access to. Add the age of your PSU as well. Also, include a link to the cable/adapter that you're using. Sometimes there are instances where a panel might not be compatible with a GPU or the resolution is beyond what the monitor can recognize.

You could try and reinstall your GPU drivers and see if that alleviates the issue.

~cw

Prominent
Mar 31, 2022
Are you using VGA because the TV doesn't support HDMI? Is your DVI adapter definitely pinned for DVI-I and is it active or passive? If your TV has a VGA port it possibly also has a DVI port, have you checked?

Amazon sell an AmazonBasics DVI-I to VGA cable for a very reasonable price which is almost guaranteed to work, if you're using some random generic adapter you may want to try that or similar alternative product. https://smile.amazon.co.uk/AmazonBasics-DVI-I-VGA-Cable-Feet-Black/dp/B074DMCTMQ/

I would always recommend using a DVI-I to HDMI cable or adapter, VGA is analogue and horrible and at HD resolutions looks really bad. It may also be that the Radeon just can't output a signal valid enough for the TV to display it, whereas the integrated graphics can. If your DVI-I to VGA adapter is active, the Radeon may not be able to send enough volts to power it, whereas the integrated graphics can. Problems like this have been discussed in the past on TH forums.

mjch7

Commendable
Jan 17, 2020
I got it to finally work I had the wrong adapter (dvi-d to vga instead of dvi-I) and that was causing the problem. With the dvi-I it works perfectly I’m not sure why the other one doesn’t work as the tv has its own power input obviously

my tv doesn’t actually have a dvi port, only hdmi and vga, so I took a vga adapter in case it stopped working or had a problem, so I can plug the adapter into a normal vga monitor in case I need to. Not sure what the differences are as I have never compared the 2.

Im not sure about the full specs of the computer so I can’t really answer all those questions but it’s a weird setup as the psu for the moba is not the same as the psu for the gpu ( not enough links in either psus to power everything) so its a bit of a cobbled together mess that I put together from spare parts a while ago and as such I don’t remember what is what in it.