[SOLVED] GPU and WIFi card on the same board? (ASROCK STEEL LEGEND B550M)

Shelton_04

Prominent
Jul 28, 2019
Hey guys!

Bought a brand new motherboard the ASROCK B550M Steel Legend (MATX Case) It seemed like a really great choice at the time but now I'm having second thoughts.
I've only recently got my first part-time job and shifts aren't exactly the easiest thing to pick up, money is kinda tight so I don't want to mess up too badly. My question today
is will my GPU (GTX 1060 6GB 2 Slot card) manage to fit in this case along with an Asus pce-Ac68 wireless PCI-Express Wifi card. I've been using a cheap USB for wifi for the past 3 years and it's recently been causing major issues for my PC so I figured I'd splurge a bit and treat myself to a new motherboard as well.

Thanks for your time in advance.

Solution
You're going to be better off using a USB driven wireless adapter, you also can use it off of the USB port on the front panel which is the highest point in the case. What USB Wi-Fi adapter were you using prior? Perhaps you were on the wrong driver...or a BIOS update was necessary?

To answer the question in your thread, yes they'll both drop in;
B550M%20Steel%20Legend(L2).png

The Wi-Fi card will drop into the PCIe x1 slot on the same line as the CMOS battery. Mid sharing a link to the GPU you're looking at to see if the card's fans won't be blocked by said Wi-Fi card...?

Why not look into a motherboard with built in Wi-Fi?

Lutfij

Titan
You're going to be better off using a USB driven wireless adapter, you also can use it off of the USB port on the front panel which is the highest point in the case. What USB Wi-Fi adapter were you using prior? Perhaps you were on the wrong driver...or a BIOS update was necessary?

The Wi-Fi card will drop into the PCIe x1 slot on the same line as the CMOS battery. Mid sharing a link to the GPU you're looking at to see if the card's fans won't be blocked by said Wi-Fi card...?

Solution

Shelton_04

Prominent
Jul 28, 2019

I never really thought about getting a board with built in wifi I wasn't ever sure how reliable it was. I'm glad that they'll both manage to fit in there though, that's a plus. Will a wifi card work better then your average wifi USB?

This is the link to my GPU:
https://www.umart.com.au/Inno3D-GeForce-GTX-1060-6GB-Twin-X2_41339G.html

Thanks for all your help mate. We

I never really thought about getting a board with built in wifi I wasn't ever sure how reliable it was.
USB WiFi might be convenient and easy to implement but an add-in WiFi card will almost doubtlessly provide higher sustained throughput, limited only by your router and the WiFi standard that they both support. The one you've chosen look pretty good to, with separate antennas that you can locate and position as needed for reception.

Even if it clears the GPU in the x1 slot I'd suggest using the lower x16 slot to allow maximum airflow to the GPU. You're not giving up much with that choice as it's wired only for x4 anyway.