[SOLVED] GPU appears to be crashing after a short time playing graphically intense games - please help me to figure out why

Sep 30, 2020
Hi all. Some time ago I upgraded my gaming PC's graphics card (EVGA FTW2 1080ti). I remember looking at the specs of the other components at the time and thinking it should be fine.

Ever since then I have had an annoying issue where anywhere between 20mins-60mins of playing a graphically intense game the system will crash (black screen, system totally unresponsive, have to reboot via hard reset button).

I'm thinking this could be due to either overheating due to inadequate cooling or that the 550w PSU is insufficient for the card as the EVGA card is more overclocked compared to a standard 1080ti?

Excuse my ignorance in asking, I just know that someone here may be able to look at my setup and figure out the problem a lot quicker than I can. I've put it off for months now. Ideally I want to know if I can fix this issue by upgrading some components or whether I need to get a new rig.

Thanks in advance for any help you can provide :)

Specs:
Motherboard
Gigabyte GA-970A-D3P
Processor
AMD 8 Core FX-8320 3.5 GHz (4GHz Turbo Core)
Power Supply
Aurum S Series AS-550
550w
Gold Rating
Cooling
Cooler Master Water Cooling
Graphics Card
EVGA FTW 2 Geforce GTX1080 iCX
Memory
DDR3 G-Skill 8GB RAM x2
1600MHz
CL10
1.5V

Solution
Failure over time is usually thermal related.
My guess is that your motherboard does not have sufficient cooling for the vrm's.
Try taking the case cover off and direct a house fan at the innards.

Since FX is essentially obsolete, I would not pay to change out the motherboard.
$250 will buy you a stronger i3-10100, a lga1200 motherboard and 16gb of ddr4 ram.
Hi all. Some time ago I upgraded my gaming PC's graphics card (EVGA FTW2 1080ti). I remember looking at the specs of the other components at the time and thinking it should be fine.

Ever since then I have had an annoying issue where anywhere between 20mins-60mins of playing a graphically intense game the system will crash (black screen, system totally unresponsive, have to reboot via hard reset button).

I'm thinking this could be due to either overheating due to inadequate cooling or that the 550w PSU is insufficient for the card as the EVGA card is more overclocked compared to a standard 1080ti?

Excuse my ignorance in asking, I just know that someone here may be able to look at my setup and figure out the problem a lot quicker than I can. I've put it off for months now. Ideally I want to know if I can fix this issue by upgrading some components or whether I need to get a new rig.

Specs:
Motherboard
Gigabyte GA-970A-D3P
Processor
Power Supply
Aurum S Series AS-550
550w
Gold Rating
Cooling
Graphics Card
Memory
DDR3 G-Skill 8GB RAM x2
1600MHz
CL10
1.5V
My bet is on PSU being inadequate, need 750 of good watts.

Specs:
Motherboard
Gigabyte GA-970A-D3P
Processor
Power Supply
Aurum S Series AS-550
550w
Gold Rating
Cooling
Graphics Card
Memory
DDR3 G-Skill 8GB RAM x2
1600MHz
CL10
1.5V

It might be PSU, although I would look at your motherboard temps (you can use the free 'HWMonitor' tool - if you have a second screen you could hook up put that on the second monitor whilst playing a game and keep an eye on all temps). Those 970 chipset motherboards are notorious for overheating with the FX 8000 series CPU's, I used to have a similar setup to you and on my machine the 8320 would just throttle down to below 2ghz in any intensive game due to the motherboard VRM overheating (cpu temp was fine).

In the end I swapped it out for a 990 series motherboard and it was fine after that.

Failure over time is usually thermal related.
My guess is that your motherboard does not have sufficient cooling for the vrm's.
Try taking the case cover off and direct a house fan at the innards.

Since FX is essentially obsolete, I would not pay to change out the motherboard.
$250 will buy you a stronger i3-10100, a lga1200 motherboard and 16gb of ddr4 ram.

Solution