[SOLVED] GPU appears to crash after a short period of time playing graphically intense games-please help me figure out why

Sep 30, 2020
Hi everyone. I upgraded my PC some time ago by adding a new graphics card (EVGA FTW2 1080ti). I remember looking into the specs of the other components at the time and thinking it should be fine. Ever since I've had an annoying problem where when I'm about 20mins into playing a graphically intense game the GPU appears to crash (system does not respond, black screen, only way to reboot is via hard reset button). I assume it's either due to overheating due to inadequate cooling or possibly due to the PSU not being powerful enough as the EVGA card is more overclocked than the standard 1080ti? Excuse my ignorance in asking but I know someone here is likely to look at my setup and be able to tell me what's wrong in much faster time than it takes me to figure out. I'd like to know whether I can fix the issue by upgrading something or whether I need a new rig.

Thanks so much for any and all help! :)

Specs:
Motherboard
Gigabyte GA-970A-D3P
Processor
AMD 8 Core FX-8320 3.5 GHz (4GHz Turbo Core)
Power Supply
Aurum S Series AS-550
550w
Gold Rating
Cooling
Cooler Master Water Cooling
Graphics Card
EVGA FTW 2 Geforce GTX1080 iCX
Memory
DDR3 G-Skill 8GB RAM x2
1600MHz
CL10
1.5V

Solution
You are pretty close to the PSU power limit here. Try running OCCT and only stressing the graphics. If it works fine for... say... an hour, try to run the CPU stress, if OK, then do a PSU stress by stressing CPU and GPU together. If it crashes - you need a new PSU...
You are pretty close to the PSU power limit here. Try running OCCT and only stressing the graphics. If it works fine for... say... an hour, try to run the CPU stress, if OK, then do a PSU stress by stressing CPU and GPU together. If it crashes - you need a new PSU...

Solution