[SOLVED] GPU artifact

Jun 7, 2021
Since last night my pc gets random colourful dots out of nowhere and then it crashes.
Ryzen 1700
Rv Vega 56
16gb ram

Solution
The GPU very well could be the issue, and its demise potentially caused by a deficient PSU. When PSUs fail/become defective, they often take other things with them.

Please let us know how the swapping goes. Great that you have a similar system available to test with.

Pray it isn't the GPU. As you noted, prices are crazy right now. And will likely be bad for some time to come.

By the way, the "bronze" rating has nothing to do with the quality of the PSU and its overall performance. It is an efficiency rating.
Jun 7, 2021
Understood, but that is how power and/or heat problems present themselves. Also, PSUs can and do wear out over time.

What is your CPU and GPU operating temperatures at idle and under load (like when gaming)?
I don’t completely know out of my head and can’t check cause it will crash but idle both around 35 to 40 gaming like 70 I think, do you have discord easier to chat there?

Jun 7, 2021
There is a Tom's Hardware Discord channel, I typically don't use it. Others who can assist may be on-line there.
Alright thanks I have an idea I luckily have another pc at my dads house so I will test there if it works since I have the same gpu there. And if it still happens i will try to get warranty. Thanks again

Oxicoi

Honorable
Feb 7, 2017
Since last night my pc gets random colourful dots out of nowhere and then it crashes.
Ryzen 1700
Rv Vega 56
16gb ram
From experience using only NVIDIA GPU's (lol), overclocking the memory for it will cause certain issues like you are addressing here.

I would assume that the same may happen on an AMD GPU, particularly because it's memory.

You say you aren't overclock so something about it seems to be a manufactured fault, but if you've had the power supply for 2 years, then the GPU could be going bad if you've had it for as long as the PSU? Maybe not enough power is being supplied to all parts in your system? I doubt since it's 650W.

I never had a bad PSU and I can say so with a bronze thermaltake back in 2013 (very horrible, yet still worked).

It's either the PCI-E slot or the GPU itself. That's my conclusion.

Jun 7, 2021
From experience using only NVIDIA GPU's (lol), overclocking the memory for it will cause certain issues like you are addressing here.

I would assume that the same may happen on an AMD GPU, particularly because it's memory.

You say you aren't overclock so something about it seems to be a manufactured fault, but if you've had the power supply for 2 years, then the GPU could be going bad if you've had it for as long as the PSU? Maybe not enough power is being supplied to all parts in your system? I doubt since it's 650W.

I never had a bad PSU and I can say so with a bronze thermaltake back in 2013 (very horrible, yet still worked).

It's either the PCI-E slot or the GPU itself. That's my conclusion.
Alright thank you I tried another pcie slot and that also crashed so it’s either the GPU or the PSU I will have to wait and see when I test it on my other pc

Oxicoi

Honorable
Feb 7, 2017
Alright thank you I tried another pcie slot and that also crashed so it’s either the GPU or the PSU I will have to wait and see when I test it on my other pc
I believe it to be the GPU if I were to take a guess. The fact it'll crash on another PCI-E slot kind of gives it away. However, to be safe, to check out the PSU as well.

Tell us the results when you figure it out. Would love to know.

Jun 7, 2021
I believe it to be the GPU if I were to take a guess. The fact it'll crash on another PCI-E slot kind of gives it away. However, to be safe, to check out the PSU as well.

Tell us the results when you figure it out. Would love to know.
Alright I will thank you for the help, I hope it not the gpu cause this prices these days are <<Edited by moderator>>

Last edited by a moderator:

COLGeek

Cybernaut
The GPU very well could be the issue, and its demise potentially caused by a deficient PSU. When PSUs fail/become defective, they often take other things with them.

Please let us know how the swapping goes. Great that you have a similar system available to test with.

Pray it isn't the GPU. As you noted, prices are crazy right now. And will likely be bad for some time to come.

By the way, the "bronze" rating has nothing to do with the quality of the PSU and its overall performance. It is an efficiency rating.

Solution
Jun 7, 2021

Yeah thank you again , I’ll let you guys know and I hope I still have warranty