[SOLVED] GPU Asus gt 740 Dual Fan

Oct 12, 2019
Hye all,

I just purchase GPU Asus gt740-dfoc-2gd5. When I plugged in to my Motherboard, seems like it's not detected the GPU. The GPU has 6pin power connector slot which I did not plug in any power connector because my PSU doesn't have 6 pin power connector. It's compulsory to plugin the power cable?
I'm using PSU Voltron Bronze 235FX and my Motherboard is Gigabyte z77-HD3.

Solution
Btw, the reason it's cant install the driver properly is it because psu?
No. Likely drivers fighting with other drivers. You likely didn't uninstall the old Quadro drivers, so they're still there.
Download Display Driver Uninstaller: https://www.wagnardsoft.com/
Run DDU(requires safe mode), select the graphics driver, and Clean and Restart.

After it has done it thing, go to Nvidia's site and get the latest available driver for the GT 740, or the card you may replace it with, here: https://www.geforce.com/drivers
Use the manual driver search, avoid the automatic one that will install Geforce Experience(it tends to hurt more than help). Example:
-Geforce
-Geforce 700 series
-GT 740
-Select your version of Windows...

Phaaze88

Titan
Ambassador
Don't do that. If you psu doesn't already have the necessary connections, and you go and add an adapter, you are then running the unit out of spec.
It's on you if something does go wrong from doing that.

Return the current gpu and get a single fan model; those shouldn't need an extra power connection.

Reactions: dotas1
Oct 12, 2019
Don't do that. If you psu doesn't already have the necessary connections, and you go and add an adapter, you are then running the unit out of spec.
It's on you if something does go wrong from doing that.

Return the current gpu and get a single fan model; those shouldn't need an extra power connection.

is that will really jam my unit immediately? How if I want to check if that GPU is working before i get another psu with 6 pin connector

Phaaze88

Titan
Ambassador
Do you have another gpu lying around, or one you can borrow from a friend that does not require extra connections?

You can try the adapter if you wish... but why take a chance like that? Would it not be easier to return this card and get a different GT 740?

Oct 12, 2019
Do you have another gpu lying around, or one you can borrow from a friend that does not require extra connections?

You can try the adapter if you wish... but why take a chance like that? Would it not be easier to return this card and get a different GT 740?

Before I do have GPU unit model Nvidia 570 I think. Works fine. But because I plan to upgrade, so i take it out and install it to another PC at my hometown for my sister.
I did use adapter last night, can use but the graphic terrible.. The driver not working properly even inside device manager it's said installed good.

Not sure I should change my PSU. Some info said i need to upgrade my bios which I dont want to take the risk.

Another info said maybe the gpu not compactible with motherboard. Need to check it's UEFI or Legacy mode. Well my mobo is UEFI mode and I cant find the way to change that..

I'm confuse now😅

Phaaze88

Titan
Ambassador
Before I do have GPU unit model Nvidia 570 I think. Works fine. But because I plan to upgrade, so i take it out and install it to another PC at my hometown for my sister.
I did use adapter last night, can use but the graphic terrible.. The driver not working properly even inside device manager it's said installed good.
If you're referring to the GTX 570, that's LEAGUES better than a GT 740.

Not sure I should change my PSU. Some info said i need to upgrade my bios which I dont want to take the risk.
You should. You tried the adapter and now you know the gpu works. Now it's time to get a good power supply that can actually run your system without risks.
If you choose to keep running the psu beyond it's specs, via that adapter, any damage that may occur will all be on you.

Another info said maybe the gpu not compactible with motherboard. Need to check it's UEFI or Legacy mode. Well my mobo is UEFI mode and I cant find the way to change that..
If the GT 740 weren't compatible, you wouldn't have gotten a signal even after using that adapter. The GTX 570 you used to have is newer, so no reason a GT 740 wouldn't.
Since you've confirmed that your motherboard does support UEFI, even newer gpus will work. But the current psu needs to go before attempting that.

Oct 12, 2019
If you're referring to the GTX 570, that's LEAGUES better than a GT 740.

You should. You tried the adapter and now you know the gpu works. Now it's time to get a good power supply that can actually run your system without risks.
If you choose to keep running the psu beyond it's specs, via that adapter, any damage that may occur will all be on you.

If the GT 740 weren't compatible, you wouldn't have gotten a signal even after using that adapter. The GTX 570 you used to have is newer, so no reason a GT 740 wouldn't.
Since you've confirmed that your motherboard does support UEFI, even newer gpus will work. But the current psu needs to go before attempting that.

Sorry.. Previous GPU is NVIDIA QUADRO FX570.

So basically my GT740 is working? I thinking to let it go and get a normal gpu without 6pin power connector needed

Phaaze88

Titan
Ambassador
Btw, the reason it's cant install the driver properly is it because psu?
No. Likely drivers fighting with other drivers. You likely didn't uninstall the old Quadro drivers, so they're still there.

After it has done it thing, go to Nvidia's site and get the latest available driver for the GT 740, or the card you may replace it with, here: https://www.geforce.com/drivers
Use the manual driver search, avoid the automatic one that will install Geforce Experience(it tends to hurt more than help). Example:
-Geforce
-Geforce 700 series
-GT 740
-Select your version of Windows
-Language
-Standard driver
-Recommended/Certified driver
Select Start Search.

Solution
Oct 12, 2019

-Geforce
-Geforce 700 series
-GT 740
-Select your version of Windows
-Language
-Standard driver
-Recommended/Certified driver
Select Start Search.

Thanks Phaaze88 for the advise. I did go to Nvidia website and look for the driver. But this gt740 got 2 version, single GT740-OC-2GD5 & Dual fan
(GT740-DFOC-2GD5) ..

So I'm not sure from Nvidia site, it's refer to which one. From Asus website, only the single fan model provided the driver download but not the dual fan that i have. Or it just same driver?