[SOLVED] GPU at 80c while playing

DominicB06

Reputable
Jul 5, 2019
My gtx 1660 is hitting 80c while playing games (specifically modern warfare), and the fans have to increase speed to lower temps. I don't remember my GPU getting this hot until recently. Is this temp ok? If not what could I do to improve it? Thank you!
I have the NZXT S340 case with 2 intake fans at the front and 2 exhaust fans at the back.

Solution
Dual fans and I was messing with the fan curve (the forum isn't letting me post image link sorry). When in-game it seems like my fan speed needs to be at least 76% to keep the GPU at the desired temp. I set 76% at 76c. But even with that sometimes it still would go up to 80 and have to hit 90% fan speed. Is this normal?

As I don't have a 1660 to verify, I'd hazard a guess as to yes as from what I've read, the 1660 just runs hot. Apart from temps, how do games and programs run? Smooth or are you having issues?

It also wouldn't hurt reaching out to the company that released your particular 1660 (MSI, ASUS, EVGA etc.) and alert them of the high temps. I'd take screen shots of the temps and forward it to them. They might tell you...

Mrgr74

Reputable
BANNED
My gtx 1660 is hitting 80c while playing games (specifically modern warfare), and the fans have to increase speed to lower temps. I don't remember my GPU getting this hot until recently. Is this temp ok? If not what could I do to improve it? Thank you!
I have the NZXT S340 case with 2 intake fans at the front and 2 exhaust fans at the back.

Hi @DominicB06

Max ref. temp for the 1660 is approx. 95c. You of course don't want it anywhere near that hot. A quick search brought up similar issues as yours as it appears the cooler on some 1660's did not employ the best overall design.

* Have you updated the drivers recently? Close out all un-needed background apps and try rolling back to an earlier driver ver. A side effect is that some drivers can raise temps as they make other tweaks to how the card runs.. (New game support & whatnot)

* Do you have a fan control program like MSI Afterburner or Precision X1 installed? If not, I'd advise it. I'm partial to EVGA's Precision X1, which works with every GPU, not just those from EVGA.

* How old is the 1660? Did you buy it new? Used? If it's not under warranty, I'd suggest you consider replacing the thermal paste. Possibly it was applied on a Friday afternoon just before quitting time and so it might not have been applied correctly &/or has started to dry out. (probably not, but still worth a check) :)

Of course the inside of your case is clean & clear of dust? The overall ambient temps of the room the PC is in is not overly warm to begin with? The best cooler will suck if it's only moving hot air.

A little more info please. While you're at it, whats the rest of your system look like, namely your PSU.

DominicB06

Reputable
Jul 5, 2019
Hi @DominicB06

Max ref. temp for the 1660 is approx. 95c. You of course don't want it anywhere near that hot. A quick search brought up similar issues as yours as it appears the cooler on some 1660's did not employ the best overall design.

* Have you updated the drivers recently? Close out all un-needed background apps and try rolling back to an earlier driver ver. A side effect is that some drivers can raise temps as they make other tweaks to how the card runs.. (New game support & whatnot)

* Do you have a fan control program like MSI Afterburner or Precision X1 installed? If not, I'd advise it. I'm partial to EVGA's Precision X1, which works with every GPU, not just those from EVGA.

* How old is the 1660? Did you buy it new? Used? If it's not under warranty, I'd suggest you consider replacing the thermal paste. Possibly it was applied on a Friday afternoon just before quitting time and so it might not have been applied correctly &/or has started to dry out. (probably not, but still worth a check) :)

Of course the inside of your case is clean & clear of dust? The overall ambient temps of the room the PC is in is not overly warm to begin with? The best cooler will suck if it's only moving hot air.

A little more info please. While you're at it, whats the rest of your system look like, namely your PSU.
I
Hi @DominicB06

Rolled back driver and still getting the same temps. I'm also getting 50c while idling is this normal? My 1660 is 10 months old and I bought it brand new on amazon. The inside of my case is clean, no dust or anything, and my room is 70f so not hot.

Specs:
i5-9600k
16gb ram
corsair cx550
gtx 1660

Mrgr74

Reputable
BANNED
Rolled back driver and still getting the same temps. I'm also getting 50c while idling is this normal? My 1660 is 10 months old and I bought it brand new on amazon. The inside of my case is clean, no dust or anything, and my room is 70f so not hot.

Specs:
i5-9600k
16gb ram
corsair cx550
gtx 1660

Does your particular 1660 have a single or dual fan. Single fan, yeah, 45-50c at isle is normal from what I'm reading. Especially if you have the Super or Ti versions. A dual fan card can obviously idles a little lower temp wise.

Whats your cards current fan curve? If not sure, install one of the below, run and watch your temps and report back here. Check at idle after 10 mins and then again after gaming or other activity that causes your 9600 to otherwise start thinking. :)

DominicB06

Reputable
Jul 5, 2019
Does your particular 1660 have a single or dual fan. Single fan, yeah, 45-50c at isle is normal from what I'm reading. Especially if you have the Super or Ti versions. A dual fan card can obviously idles a little lower temp wise.

Whats your cards current fan curve? If not sure, install one of the below, run and watch your temps and report back here. Check at idle after 10 mins and then again after gaming or other activity that causes your 9600 to otherwise start thinking. :)

Dual fans and I was messing with the fan curve (the forum isn't letting me post image link sorry). When in-game it seems like my fan speed needs to be at least 76% to keep the GPU at the desired temp. I set 76% at 76c. But even with that sometimes it still would go up to 80 and have to hit 90% fan speed. Is this normal?

Mrgr74

Reputable
BANNED

As I don't have a 1660 to verify, I'd hazard a guess as to yes as from what I've read, the 1660 just runs hot. Apart from temps, how do games and programs run? Smooth or are you having issues?

It also wouldn't hurt reaching out to the company that released your particular 1660 (MSI, ASUS, EVGA etc.) and alert them of the high temps. I'd take screen shots of the temps and forward it to them. They might tell you it's normal or you might have a defective card. If nothing else, you'll be on record of having notified them before the warranty ran out & so will have a legal leg to stand on should it fail.

If you're having ANY type of performance issues, definitely request an RMA, but I'd reach out to them 1st and give them as much info as possible. Don't email them and say "it. hot." and expect them to bend over backwards for you. :)

Let us know what you do.

Solution