[SOLVED] Gpu at 92*C+? Is this normal?

Aug 16, 2021
Hi, I have an Nvidia geforce gtx 1650, and while playing games the temperature will always hit 92C within a few minutes, with 100C+ hotspots. Recently the performance is really bad and I have big fps drops when this happens (game that was previously running at 60fps high settings is now 25fps on potato settings).
This occurs even if I remove the side cover of my computer to allow more ventilation. It's a small form factor case.

Do I need to replace the thermal paste, or just upgrade to a bigger case with better fans, etc? Is my GPU just degraded and needs replacing?

Solution
Either GPU fans do not spin/are faulty, or the thermal paste has dried out and needs replacing.
If it had degraded then you should also have artifacting.
Aug 16, 2021
I'm pretty sure they are, I can hear them going. I also tried pointing another little desktop fan at the computer to see if that would help, and it makes a small difference (in that the game is playable but really bad, as opposed to unplayable 8fps)

Aug 9, 2021
When was the last time you did some dust cleaning? There is a chance your GPU has collected an amount of dust they now have trouble spinning. (just a guess) and you if forced your GPU playing at 100C over and over you might have damaged it

Reactions: Krotow
Aug 16, 2021
Well, I worked out what the problem was.

After closer inspection, I discovered that the gpu fans had stopped working properly, and one or both were just not moving, hence the crazy temps.

Thanks for your help, everyone :)