[SOLVED] GPU bad performance

Feb 4, 2019
So basically, i just bought a new GPU RX580 8gb and theres no way to describe it but i go into fortnite and it has really bad fps drops and works worse than my previous GPU

I installed new windows 10
Properly installed drivers and everything but it works really bad i dont know why

Solution
A 4th gen i7 is more than enough for a RX 580 and will definitely be much cheaper than getting a Ryzen as it also means that you will need to get a new motherboard and new, expensive fast RAM modules.

The i3 4170 is just a dual core so it isn't good for gaming or any cpu heavy tasks. When it was released it was probably not such a bad choice for those who wanted a really tiny budget gaming PC but its days were numbered from the beginning.
2 common errors to check, you have the HDMI plugged into the GPU and not the motherboard.

You have the correct power pins plugged into the GPU. Either 1 8 pin or a 6 pin and an 8 pin (depending on which manufacturer card you have)

Also what PSU do you have? the RX580 can be quite power hungry

Phazoner

Distinguished
A 4th gen i7 is more than enough for a RX 580 and will definitely be much cheaper than getting a Ryzen as it also means that you will need to get a new motherboard and new, expensive fast RAM modules.

The i3 4170 is just a dual core so it isn't good for gaming or any cpu heavy tasks. When it was released it was probably not such a bad choice for those who wanted a really tiny budget gaming PC but its days were numbered from the beginning.

Solution
Feb 4, 2019
I already bought the AM4 motherboard and ddr4 ram i know everything about that but the thing i dont understand is
Shouldnt i be able to play on low settings in fortnite with like 100 fps or something because i cant play on 30 fps because i have fpa drops all the time and why is that happening, to me thats not normal

As Phazoner said the i3 will bottleneck the GPU, having said that it shouldnt do anymore than it did with the previous GPU so maybe there is something wrong elsewhere.

You could try running a GPU benchmark to see if your GPu is running at its full potential, eliminating that as the problem.

Try a https://www.userbenchmark.com/ test, it'll show you how your RX580 performs compared to other peoples rx580s

Phazoner

Distinguished
Lowering the settings reduces the cost of rendering a frame (GPU-wise) but more frames means a proportional increase on CPU load as it has to "plan" all the extra frames. If the i3 is underperforming you will get even lower FPS but anyways the dual-core i3 means a big bottleneck for that GPU.

If the CPU is underperforming in the bench it can be because it is being used by other programs or it is just slowing down because of overheating. You can check your temps using speedfan while the benchmark is running. If the CPU goes over 80ºC, it is bad and it will start throttling (reducing its performance to avoid burning).