[SOLVED] GPU became hot really fast while starting Windows, and triggers a BSOD ?

Mar 5, 2022
I'm using an MX330 as my GPU and one day it just became really hot in a matter of seconds after opening up windows then I get BSOD, I remember before it happened that I made an application run on GPU processing, I restarted my whole system and downloaded the latest driver on the NVIDIA website then I got a BSOD again but I was smart enough this time that I went into safe mode and disabled it via device manager

I then tried to test older versions of the graphics card and for the latest ones I get the BSOD while the older ones I get an Error 43 on device manager

Also the BSOD I got was: fault page_fault_in_nonpaged_area, What's failed: nvlddmkm.sys

Is it corrupted or broken?

Solution
the standard memory interface is GDDR5 while I have DDR4 could that be the problem, if so how do I fix it?
GDDR5 is a form of VRAM(video RAM) used by a graphical processor.
not the same as DDR4, which is a form of system RAM.

there is nothing to "fix" as this is not an issue.
then tried to test older versions of the graphics card...

Not all of them had the same results
the fact that they all lead to a similar fate, system crashes with similar errors, means that there is a deeper issue with your system.

and there's always a chance that you have caused some damage to this laptop by manually disassembling it and exchanging the dedicated GPU.
include your complete system specs with make & model + time in use of ALL components.
I then tried to test older versions of the graphics card...
if you have tested multiple models of the same graphics card and all of them are suffering from the same issue(s) then there is a deeper problem with your system than just a malfunctioning GPU.

try removing all graphics related data by running DDU in Windows Safe Mode.
then try installing the latest driver package directly from Nvidia without GeForce Experience.

Mar 5, 2022
ideapad 3-14IIL05 Laptop - Type 81WD
Intel Core i3-1005G1 Processor(Core i3-1005G1) w/ Integrated graphics
4GB DDR4-2667
Windows 10
1x 512GB PCIe TLC
1x Intel® Wireless-AC 9560 2x2ac; Bluetooth® 5.0
Graphics
1x NVIDIA GeForce MX330 2GB
Monitor
14.0 FHD

if you have tested multiple models of the same graphics card and all of them are suffering from the same issue(s) then there is a deeper problem with your system than just a malfunctioning GPU.
Not all of them had the same results, some I still get BSOD with fault page_fault_in_nonpaged_area, What's failed: nvlddmkm.sys
while others I got error 43

try removing all graphics related data by running DDU in Windows Safe Mode.
then try installing the latest driver package directly from Nvidia without GeForce Experience.
That is what I'm doing when installing the other graphics card versions

EDIT: I think I know what the problem might be, in this website: https://www.nvidia.com/en-us/geforce/gaming-laptops/mx-330/ it says that the standard memory interface is GDDR5 while I have DDR4 could that be the problem, if so how do I fix it?

Last edited:
the standard memory interface is GDDR5 while I have DDR4 could that be the problem, if so how do I fix it?
GDDR5 is a form of VRAM(video RAM) used by a graphical processor.
not the same as DDR4, which is a form of system RAM.

there is nothing to "fix" as this is not an issue.
then tried to test older versions of the graphics card...

Not all of them had the same results
the fact that they all lead to a similar fate, system crashes with similar errors, means that there is a deeper issue with your system.

and there's always a chance that you have caused some damage to this laptop by manually disassembling it and exchanging the dedicated GPU.

Solution
Mar 5, 2022
So, what should I do?

Edit: I was searching for a solution and one of the solution was to name nvlddmkm.sys to nvlddmkm.sys.old but when I went to C:\Windows\System32\Drivers it's not there, I searched through the search bar and found 2 nvlddmkm.sys files, one on C:\Windows\System32\DriverStore\FileRepository\nvlti.inf_amd64_4831581a4e5dfca0 and the other on C:\Windows\System32\DriverStore\FileRepository\nvltig.inf_amd64_a6bce42b6b09edc9

Is this normal?

Last edited:

Colif

Win 11 Master
I would run ddu in safe mode, remove the driver and reinstall and see if it fixes it

TRENDING THREADS