Question gpu became hotter without changing anything

Apr 8, 2022
hello as the title says my gpu became hotter without me even changing anything. i mainly play escape from tarkov an my gpu usage is around 95%. i changed the thermal paste 2 days ago (Arctic MX-4) because my gpu was running 83°C and that is like the max the card can hold (2060 super). So i changed the thermal paste used the custom fan curve in msi afterburner and the gpu was running at 73°C. today i start my pc and i see without me even changing anything it runs at 87°C. i get like 20-30 fps less than before.help me please

CPU: ryzen 5 3600
Motherboard: b450-f gaming
Ram: some g skill idk 16gb 3000mhz but upgrading to 32gb vengeance pro in a week
SSD/HDD: samsung 870 1tb
GPU: palit 2060 super
PSU: Seasonic SSR-650GB3 S12
Chassis:Thermaltake Level 20 MT ARGB
Monitor: 2x aoc27g1

Last edited:

Lutfij

Titan
Welcome to the forums, newcomer!

We're going to need a little more information from you. When posting a thread of troubleshooting nature, it's customary to include your full system's specs. Please list them like so:
CPU:
Motherboard:
Ram:
SSD/HDD:
GPU:
PSU:
Chassis:
Monitor:

What thermal paste did you use to reapply on the GPU chip? If you're on Windows 10, please mention the version(not edition) of the OS.

As for your GPU, you might want to first make sure that the OS is up to date), then try and use DDU to rid your platform of your GPU drivers, to later reinstall them with the latest sourced from Nvidia's support site.

Apr 8, 2022
Welcome to the forums, newcomer!

We're going to need a little more information from you. When posting a thread of troubleshooting nature, it's customary to include your full system's specs. Please list them like so:
CPU:
Motherboard:
Ram:
SSD/HDD:
GPU:
PSU:
Chassis:
Monitor:

What thermal paste did you use to reapply on the GPU chip? If you're on Windows 10, please mention the version(not edition) of the OS.

As for your GPU, you might want to first make sure that the OS is up to date), then try and use DDU to rid your platform of your GPU drivers, to later reinstall them with the latest sourced from Nvidia's support site.
tried reinstalling but didnt work

mlarivie

Distinguished
Jan 1, 2012
Things running hotter is an indication of a supply voltage drop (PSU failing, old caps) as the VRMs heat up to accomodate.

Another possibility is failing heat paste, running hotter, which also increases amp draw.

Start by
-Cleaning the dust out
-Re-apply thermal paste
-Swap PSU's

Putting this off will lead to VRM failure - GPU or motherboard VRM failure.

Take it in the garage and hit it with the leaf blower if you dont have compressed air. PSU, GPU, everything.

Apr 8, 2022
Things running hotter is an indication of a supply voltage drop (PSU failing, old caps) as the VRMs heat up to accomodate.

Another possibility is failing heat paste, running hotter, which also increases amp draw.

Start by
-Cleaning the dust out
-Re-apply thermal paste
-Swap PSU's

Putting this off will lead to VRM failure - GPU or motherboard VRM failure.

Take it in the garage and hit it with the leaf blower if you dont have compressed air. PSU, GPU, everything.
do you want me to reapply the thermal paste on the gpu again? and i dont have a second psu.

edit: look at this guy:
View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bkK9oVnLWdc
he only gets to around 60°C with his gpu how is that possible?

Last edited: