[SOLVED] GPU best to use with a 1440p monitor?

Nightwish

Distinguished
Mar 2, 2012
Ive been upgrading my pc over the last few months and the last part that can be upgraded is
the gpu. Ive just got a a 1440p, 144mzh with gsync monitor but ive found im loosing fps and a lot of fps in intense area.

Just wondering what would be a reasonable upgrade for my 1060 6gb for a round £500. I could get a 1070 or 1080 second hand or it the 2070 worth investing in. I play games like world of Warcraft, destiny, 2 forza 4, bf5 and battlefront 2.

my pc spec is i7 8700k, 16gb ram with a 1060 gb.

Solution
I'm running a 1440p/144Hz FreeSync monitor on my i5-3570K + RX480 (same as GTX1060 6GB performance). It's do-able for most games (50-144Hz depending on the game and the settings...game demand varies a LOT), but I'm CPU-bound. Try it out with your current card first, you might be surprised. Nobody needs to play on ULTRA-OMG settings.

RTX2060/GTX1070Ti would be good starters for 1440p if someone is building fresh. Their prices may come down once AMD launches their Navi GPUs in Q2 though. Maybe you find your GTX1060 is enough for now and you keep your eyes open?

There are two schools of thought when it comes to upgrades (GPU for example)
Some say "I'm going to get a little more than I need now and upgrade every 3 years."...
I'm running a 1440p/144Hz FreeSync monitor on my i5-3570K + RX480 (same as GTX1060 6GB performance). It's do-able for most games (50-144Hz depending on the game and the settings...game demand varies a LOT), but I'm CPU-bound. Try it out with your current card first, you might be surprised. Nobody needs to play on ULTRA-OMG settings.

RTX2060/GTX1070Ti would be good starters for 1440p if someone is building fresh. Their prices may come down once AMD launches their Navi GPUs in Q2 though. Maybe you find your GTX1060 is enough for now and you keep your eyes open?

There are two schools of thought when it comes to upgrades (GPU for example)
Some say "I'm going to get a little more than I need now and upgrade every 3 years." That's where I sit. GPU tech and power efficiency is constantly improving, even if Perf/$ is slow to change. I also like getting new upgrades more frequently for my PC because it's rewarding to have that shiny new toy!
Others say "I'm going to buy 2x more GPU than I need/use now so it lasts me 2x longer." Since the price/perf curve has been largely undisturbed for the past couple generations thanks to the crypto craze, that seems like a good strategy, but it hasn't always been that way.

Solution